Annoyed
I was this last night. Sometimes being cynical and taking the mickey out of absolutely everything is fun. Other times it can be a bit much, and last night I, for one, felt we were crossing the line in our conversation at the flat. It seemed completely incongruous to me that, after listening so attentively to the lady at the mosque, as she spoke in full earnest about her life and convictions, and after having such lively and constructive discussion afterwards at McD's, we seemed to abandon that respectful attitude when we got back to the flat. It's easy to pick holes in things, including our own faith and its followers, but I think we have a tendency to fall to mockery much too easily. This goes for last Monday night too. Surely, as people whose aim in life is to follow God, we should treat with honour those who are trying to do the same?
Apologies if this sounds stuck up - please note I am by no means exempt from this rant myself. But I thought it important enough to risk offense.
Love to all.
-K
Apologies if this sounds stuck up - please note I am by no means exempt from this rant myself. But I thought it important enough to risk offense.
Love to all.
-K


7 Comments:
i agree
Agreed.
I must say that personally, I get particually upset in the way that we sometimes talk about God. Whilst I see that disrespecting others is a bad think, disrespecting God is degrees of scale worst.
Where is the fear of God?
J
perfect love drives out fear
I think some of the stuff I said at the flat on Sunday night was perhaps wanting... not good. Nice to hear this kinda thing dealt with in some way, even if it makes us feel convicted :P Good on ya
Yes. Personally I think most Muslims put many Christians to shame when it comes to actually being Godly. I have great respect for such Godly Muslims - and think of them as fellow Chrildren of God.
There are times when one must discern though, for not everyone or everything is Godly. Sometimes, we must reject bad things. Likewise, we must not forget to praise what is good. I have found that the greatest difficulty is not in either praising nor in rebuking, but it is knowing when to do each.
yes Jim, perfect love does drive out fear... but we are called to have a fear for the lord. perhaps this can more modernly be translated into 'reverence'.
eg the fear of the lord is the beginning of the wisdom, a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
I think our generation, and yes sometimes our group of friends, does not have such a fear of the Lord. If I was God, yeah i'd have a sense of humour, but i'd also get pretty fed up with the way people joke about me.
I would hesitate to say most Muslims put Christians to shame. I believe there's at least as much apathy/reliosity/nominalism in Islam as in Christianity. What with having so many rules, legalism easily results, and especially when it is a state religion. However, the people we met seemed to be extremely earnest and, well, praiseworthy. So it seemed to me.
Post a Comment
<< Home