My Photo
Name:
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Impending doom (another melodramatic post)

Thoughts upon the coming semester, after attending one lecture of each of my courses:

The picture I have in my mind is sort of a jumbled up collation of scenes from various movies (Star Wars Episode II, 102 Dalmations and Chicken Run come to mind), and it involves me being strapped to a conveyor belt in a manufacturing facility of some description, surrounded by pistons and pulleys and cogs and smoke and such, heading for...well, some form of impending doom, with me dodging razor blades and blowtorches and other pleasant things, and unable to reach my lightsaber.

And I thought I'd been through the fire last semester!

Well, perhaps I exaggerate. I don't foresee actual doom - only a deal of effort involved in staying on track, due to being forced to examine the grotesque, the distasteful, the immoral and the mind-boggling, to hear the pillars upon which my life is built habitually laughed at in an off-hand manner, and to discuss all these things in my essays in aloof and cool-headed academic fashion.

But hey, that's what I came to university for after all, and it'll do me good in the end, I think, because once more I shall just have to learn to take it in stride, and be the stronger for it in the end. Hurrah.

1 Comments:

Blogger Justin C. said...

Well, good luck at it.

10:27 am, February 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home