My Photo
Name:
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Sunday, February 13, 2005

A nigh-impossible task for the bold and daring

The cry for help went out: Can anyone think of any movies - just one will do - that contain neither gratuitous sex, gratuitous violence, gratuitous potty-mouthedness, nor even non-gratuitous forms of any of the above or inappropriate references to them, and yet would be sufficiently entertaining to amuse a group of 13-14 year olds (both lads and lasses) for an evening? Preferably something we haven't shown them before, ie reasonably recent.

I am stuck. I begin to doubt that such a thing exists at all. Please, someone, restore my faith in the cinematic arts - tell me I am wrong, and that somewhere in the world, some director is still catering to the youth group market!

8 Comments:

Blogger Justin C. said...

Because you seem to be in quite a predicament, I will suggest a few.
However I am suggesting watch at home movies. I have rated them *to*****.
Iron Will= A great movie about the dogsled race of a young man, determined to win the $10,000
prize needed to save his mother's farm. ****
Alone in the Wilderness= About a 50 year old man who goes and lives in the heart of the alaskan wilderness. Shows explicit detail as to how he built his cabin, made tools, got his food, et cetera.*****
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang= I know weird name. About a inventor who builds a car that has a mind of it's own.***( may find it a little boring.
Swiss family robinson(non animated, disney's)= Ah, that old classic. It has to be the one made by disney. Tells the epic tale of a family shipwrecks of the coast of who knows where? ****

Hope I could be of some service to you:)

5:12 am, February 14, 2005  
Blogger Christina said...

The best I can think of is "The Italian Job" (the recent version, not the original), which is quite funny, completely unviolent, has no sex scenes or similar and pretty well no bad language. Put it this way - my mother thought it was good! :) It's about a bunch of theives (I know, not very Christian!!) who go to pull off the ultimate heist, but then one of them betrays them all and takes all the winnings. So, of course, they have to get their revenge. You might wanna screen it first though, to see if it's ok, it's been a while since I saw it.

8:00 pm, February 14, 2005  
Blogger M Ronayne said...

The Italian Job!? Is it just me, or doesn't that have execution-style shootings in it?

My suggestion would be Molokai, the (true) story of a Belgian priest who overcomes insurmountable odds helping leper colonies in Hawaii. It has a great story and moral, though some of the moral questions might be a bit advanced for your kiddies. Even if you don't show them, I reckon you would quite like it.

11:34 am, February 15, 2005  
Blogger Christina said...

Like I said Mike, it's been a while since I've seen it, you're probably right. Woops. Honestly the only other ones I can think of are chick flicks that came out when I was in highschool - things like Ever After and Never Been Kissed (which don't sound that flash now that I think about it). Sorry I couldn't be of more help, good luck finding something :)

12:03 pm, February 15, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

i found Molokai quite boring to be honest... the only thing that kept me watching for half an hour was the actor playing Molokai....
I find kids movies a good choice - eg Shrek or Emperors New Groove
Otherwise chick flicks like the Lizzy mcGuire movie, (maybe not for boys)
Enigma was good, a little swearing though,
that age group is reaaaaally tough to select movies for... sometimes its easier to avoid it!

7:51 pm, February 16, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

or you could go full old school, and get something so silly like the Poseidon adventure, or the gods must be crazy, or superman....

7:52 pm, February 16, 2005  
Blogger Justin C. said...

I guess I forgot to tell you about the movies. Iron Will has almost no violence, and I don't think it has any swearing. Alone in the Wilderness is completely clean. Not a bad word, not a clip of violence, nothing. Of course, Swiss Family Robinson has a little violence,(pirates and all) buut is usually pretty clean as well. Out of all of them, I would most definitely suggest Iron Will.

3:29 pm, February 17, 2005  
Blogger Philotas said...

Shrek definately! :) everyone loves Shrek! ^_^ and the Incredibles. if its a trip to the movies youre after!

4:33 am, February 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home