My Photo
Name:
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Saturday, December 18, 2004

Wait for it....

Well I'm all skew-wiff with jet lag at present and don't feel a bit like writing a long post - something that has hardly ever happened before - so it'll just have to wait a bit longer. In fact I've been a right grouch today. On the inside anyway - I don't think anyone really knew how grumpy I was. And I started crying over a theological book, of all things, in my lunchbreak, coz for some reason life seemed ridiculously hard as I was reading it, though of course it's really not. Or maybe it is. Too tired to think about that.

Anyway, for anyone's amusement in the interlude, till I do finally get round to posting about my trip, and to break the current trend of silence in the blogging world, here's a song I was listening to today, the words of which express some of the things I feel towards life these days.

***

I Wish I Knew
Nina Simone, 1967
[imagine with an intense kind of a beat but a jazzy feel, and growing intensity, and this nice clear, deep, black American female voice]

I wish I knew how it would feel to be free.
I wish I could break all the chains holding me.
I wish I could say all the things that I should say -
Say 'em loud, say 'em clear, for the whole round world to hear.

I wish I could share all the love that's in my heart,
Remove all the bars that keep us apart.
I wish you could know what it means to be me -
Then you'd see and agree that every man should be free.

I wish I could give all I'm longing to give.
I wish I could live like I'm longing to live.
I wish I could do all the things that I can't do;
Though I'm way overdue, I'd be starting anew.

I wish I could be like a bird in the sky.
How sweet it would be if I found I could fly!
I'd soar to the sun and look down at the sea;
Then I'd sing, coz I'd know how it feels to be free.

***

[actually come to think of it, re. the last verse, see my comment on Michelle's blog - maybe one of my wishes has already come true!]

Yeah so anyway, the question is of course, why can't I, and why don't I do all those things, what's stopping me, and what's the meaning of life, and why am I not in bed?

1 Comments:

Blogger M Ronayne said...

Some advice for the first three questions I can offer is a quote from CS Lewis. The answers to the other two are as follows: The meaning of life is 42, and you are not in bed because an Orangutan has stolen your duvet.

11:34 am, December 18, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home