My Photo
Name:
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

What do you see?




10 Comments:

Blogger M Ronayne said...

Pants, Gonna talk about my pants now.
I got my pants on, and I'm chillin', but they aren't my pants.
These are not my pants, thas' what I got to say-
I ain't wearin' no pants.
I got Billy, Bobby, Jerry, Philly, Dilly,
ooh, chilly, mm, pants.
Itta bitta ooh, hmm.
ahh, my pants.
Whose pants are these?
Not my pants, not your pants, not billy's pants,
or bobby's, or jimmy's, what's goin' on?
Pants. Oh, you thinkin' 'bout the pants now.
Tha's what I'm tryin' to say, ooh, mm,
....mm, tha's what I'm tryin' to say,
ya'll gonna step this way, they're not my pants.
Ooooooh yeah.

3:00 pm, October 27, 2004  
Blogger Jim said...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
THESE ARE NOT, MY PANTS!
WHOSE PANTS, ARE THESE ANYWAY?
THESE ARE NOT MY PANTS!
WHOSE PANTS ARE THESE ANYWAY?
ARE THESE BOBBY'S, or TIMMY'S, or BILLY'S PANTS?
NO, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
THESE ARE NOT MY PANTS,
BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEH.
BLOOOOOOOOAAAAAAH.
ARE YOU LISTENING TO WHAT I SAY???

4:26 pm, October 27, 2004  
Blogger Kat said...

Uhh...........I suspect I'm missing something here... some H*R in-joke I haven't caught up with? Or could it just be that you're all plebians?!?! I mean, no offense or anything. But seriously now, this exquisite specimen of photographic art is nothing to joke about.

Let me be very clear. [Takes patronisingly deep breath, regains composure and musters all her snobbiest patience with a dignified air of long-suffering.] This is NOT a picture of pants! Nor is it, despite what the unenlightened (*cough*Mike*cough*) might suggest, a portrait of a man's crotch. NO!

It is an inspirational depiction of solitude, submission, prayerfulness, and that sublime feeling of sheer existence - that transcendent state of seeming to be utterly separate from one's mundane surroundings, like coming up for air - that occurs at certain poignant moments in life, such as when standing in a filthy train station. Whilst on drugs, possibly.

Not that I, a mere interpreter, can presume to claim a monopoly on the true meaning of this artistic work. Maybe it is just meant to be somebody's pants. But I suspect not, based on the CD for which it is the cover - Iarla O Lionaird's spectacular soundtrack to the movie "I Could Read the Sky", about which I know very little.

Well anyway, I liked it. Maybe I'm just too naive for my own good.

Alternative interpretations welcome.

5:18 pm, October 27, 2004  
Blogger Kat said...

But while we're on the subject of pants, Mike, how did you get on with the handbag?

5:27 pm, October 27, 2004  
Blogger Unknown said...

These are not my Pants.
A Rock Opera by Five Iron Frenzy.

Probably the only "Cheesy" Christian Music about some pants.

You'll have to listen to the CD some time.

6:00 pm, October 27, 2004  
Blogger M Ronayne said...

Hmmmm..... Perhaps we should consider some sort of truce regarding revealing details of potentially embarassing conversations.... Especially when they can be taken SO OUT OF CONTEXT!! :P

8:04 pm, October 27, 2004  
Blogger Matthew P said...

It certainly seems to be an image of solitude and sheer insignificance – given that fact that he’s standing under but one of the many dimly illuminating lamps, which we can see trail off into the distance, and also that he’s standing at just one point along the entire length of the railway track.

It also seems to stress the question, “what do I do now?”, since he appears to have his sleeves rolled up for work, yet he stands in the stillness and solitude of the empty-looking station. He looks like some sort of a labourer anyway.

Um, that’s my highly unqualified interpretation, although I guess its all “in the eye of the beholder”…

9:43 am, October 28, 2004  
Blogger Jared said...

Dang, I was way off. I thought it was a crazed hitchhiker who was waiting for me to pick him up and then was going to strangle me. I'm onto you!

11:15 am, October 28, 2004  
Blogger Nathan said...

Heh - I saw nothing, but that was something to do with the RSS reader. :) (and not my artistic abilities)

Funny thing is, now after seeing the picture, and reading comments, I see loneliness. :) I haven't been influenced in any way though...

So, why did you post it?

8:23 pm, October 28, 2004  
Blogger Kat said...

I just thought it was cool. A friend lent me the CD, which is fantastic, and I just wanted to share the love. From what I can tell by what's written in the cover and from listening to the music (which paints a fairly vivid picture), the movie is about this Irish guy who has to move to England to get work or some such, and all about his life and love and sufferings and all. Based on a book. The music has this very industrial, working-class-anger sort of sound about it. Well, apart from the sublime, yearning Sean Nos numbers by the great Mr O Lionaird.

So yeah. That and the fact that I wanted to see if I was clever enough to post an image on my blog :)

8:46 am, October 29, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home