My Photo
Name:
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Go here. Immediately.

Philosophical Powers

6 Comments:

Blogger Jared said...

Brilliant and so powerful?

6:16 pm, August 19, 2006  
Blogger Paul and Alison Holmes said...

Hey Katherine
Paul from ABC here.
How did the talk go?
And could you post the site you found for stories of lost faith?
Thanks!

1:16 pm, August 21, 2006  
Blogger AJ said...

I am moved emotionally. In my emotions. That is where I feel moved. Stopping typing now

6:58 pm, August 21, 2006  
Blogger Kat said...

Hi Paul. The site is www.exchristian.org - click on 'Why I Left' at the top.

The talk was really cool. I decided to be [reasonably] honest, and talked about a lot of stuff that's not often talked about, at least at my church. Didn't go very far into the particular questions I have about Christianity, but explained that I have questions, and what it's been like to be in that postition.

And everyone was very sympathetic, and found my talk thought-provoking. I was kinda asking the question of whether, as Donald Miller put it, Christianity is a faith for the intellectually naive, and whether we have to turn off our brains to have faith. Lots of really good going-slightly-deeper discussion afterwards. Kind of a breakthrough for the group, actually, which has just recently got started and is still getting comfortable with itself.

Also it turns out I'm ok as a public speaker :) which I would never have guessed. Not a genius but ok.

Mostly I'm just glad to have got it out there. My pastor and friends now have some idea of what I've been going through, and they don't think I'm evil or 'going astray', but agree with me that it's important for Christians to be there for each other in times like this, and not judge. So all good.

11:37 pm, August 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello
Do you have a Special Man in your life?
Dad
Granddad
Step-Dad
Uncle
Family Friend
or someone special in your life

YOUR MISSION (if you choose to accept it)

Make him feel really special this Father's Day. Bring him to
The Salvation Army to meet Simon Barnett

When: Sunday 3rd September 2006 @ 10am

Where: At the Salvation St Albans, 115 Cranford St

What: Simon will speak on "Building a Great Family"

Men's roles in Families will be honoured;

Morning Tea will be served afterwards

Be great to see you there

God Bless

11:18 pm, August 24, 2006  
Blogger Paul and Alison Holmes said...

Thanks Katherine.
Will check out the page.
Honesty. I like it, but so many in the church seem to want a blinkered faith.
I llke the idea more of associating myself as a follower of Jesus, rather than a christian, esp if I am struggling with religious issues (rather than spirtual Jesus issues).
It all comes down to how we handle ourselves and others during wilderness periods.
Always happy to chat IRL if need be......

11:02 pm, August 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home