My Photo
Name:
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Some Things That Are Good

  1. Ben Harper. The more I hear the more I love. And you can read that in both possible senses.
  2. Massive Attack's album, Mezzanine. Getting kinda on the old side now but awesome for listening to in the small hours. Yeah. Still good.
  3. The book of C.S. Lewis essays I bought the other day on the subjects of 'Faith, Christianity and the Church.' I've never before come across a book whose contents page brought me to tears. The essays have titles like 'Is Theology Poetry?', 'What are we to make of Jesus Christ?', 'Is Theism Important?', 'We have no 'Right to Happiness', 'The conditions for a
    just war' - and interesting stuff like that :)
  4. The lyrics to Pink Floyd's album, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Not sure what, uh, creativity-enhancing substances these guys were partaking of at the time of writing this stuff (something like 1967 I think), and they're probably full of sinister hidden meanings and things (though of course you know I'm not one to read into things...:P) but anyhow they make me laugh. Check this out:

From 'Bike:

I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
It's got a basket, a bell that rings
and things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.

I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house
I don't know why I call him Gerald.
He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse.

I've got a clan of gingerbread men.
Here a man, there a man, lots of gingerbread men.
Take a couple if you wish. They're on the dish.

From 'Chapter 24':

All movement is accomplished in six stages
And the seventh brings return.
The seven is the number of the young light;
It forms when darkness is increased by one.

And my personal favourite, 'The Gnome':

I want to tell you a story
'bout a little man if I can.
A gnome named Grimble Gromble.
And little gnomes stay in their homes,
Eating, sleeping, drinking their wine.

He wore a scarlet tunic,
A blue-green hood, it looked quite good.
He had a big adventure
amidst the grass, fresh air at last.
Wining, dining, biding his time

...And then one day...Hooray!
Another way for gnomes to say"Ooh my"

Look at the sky, look at the river.
Isn't it good?
Look at the sky, look at the river.
Isn't it good?
Winding, finding places to go.

...And then one day...Hooray!
Another way for gnomes to say "Ooh my" "Ooh my..."

*

So yeah. That's what's been keeping me entertained amidst my study the last few days. Hurrah for my brother going to Europe and leaving behind his vast CD collection for my listening pleasure! (uh, not that I'm glad he's gone... it's just that the perks are quite good)

8 Comments:

Blogger Rebel Heart said...

interesting, i think we do have a right to happiness considering we didn't have a choice whether or not we wanted to be created, and that we apparently have no right to end our lives if we don't want to live it - so we're pretty much forced to live a life we didn't choose to in the first place. i had a look through that book over the Summer but have already completely forgotten all of it, CS Lewis makes a whole bunch of assumptions in his books aye

8:08 pm, June 18, 2006  
Blogger Matthew P said...

Another thing that is good is being able to appreciate things that are good.

10:56 pm, June 18, 2006  
Blogger Kat said...

JC: yes he does make a lot of assumptions. He's a bit of an intellectual snob at times, and in many ways he's a product of his time. Some of these he ackowledges, and others no doubt he wasn't aware of. However, such things can be said of all of us. We could no function in the world without making huge assumptions. And I do think in a lot of ways Lewis broke free of his time as well. More to follow perhaps when I've actually read the book :)

1:38 pm, June 19, 2006  
Blogger Christina said...

*sigh* what a pity he's taken, I was starting to like Ben Harper and his stuff :P

Another good thing - you have a CAR!! And (if last night's excited outpourings were anything to go by) a HOUSE! At least for a while anyway, which still counts! :D Woo!! More good stuff :)

3:46 pm, June 19, 2006  
Blogger Kat said...

Ok *that* wasn't one of the two senses I meant :P

Was thinking 'the more I love his music' and 'the more I am inclined to do what his lyrics suggest, and love the people around me (and smoke pot).'

10:35 am, June 20, 2006  
Blogger Christina said...

He he he he yeah. I was with a mate the other day driving around, she's a big Ben Harper fan and so when I mentioned church had played one of his songs and I really liked it she put on one of his CDs. Amusingly, the title was "Burn One Down". I don't think it was referring to unjust political systems :D

7:04 pm, June 21, 2006  
Blogger Woody said...

"You can't get it right if You can't relate. Trading cash for the beef, for the body, for the hate and My time as a piece of wax, falling on a termite, who's choking on the splinters"
Loser by Beck.

No deeper words have ever been spoken.
Good... in a different way.
J

12:57 am, June 23, 2006  
Blogger AJ said...

Ben Harper isn't a Scientologist

2:21 pm, July 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home