My Photo
Name:
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

On the other hand

...it's also kinda depressing. But then that's Hardy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Tess was depressing. The ending was supposed to be happy ecept it wasn't. Are all his books like that?

12:42 pm, October 27, 2005  
Blogger Kat said...

Yes. Yes, they're all like that. Well, from what I've read. I can't see this one ending well. So far it's just getting worse and worse (rather like Tess).

But I dunno, maybe it's just me but I found the depressingness of Tess just served to make it more poignant and beautiful. After all, if the world is stuffed up, and bad things happen to good people... why not say so? Hm. Is it weird to find sad things inspiring and uplifting?

6:00 pm, October 27, 2005  
Blogger Christina said...

Er... "yes"? But I figure we're all weird in some way.

7:24 pm, October 27, 2005  
Blogger Kat said...

['uplifting' in the sense of serving to highlight by contrast what's good in the world, and what needs changing, and thus increasing my will to do something about it]

1:27 am, October 28, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy endings are nice in something but they are kind of unrealistic for all books. Very few things end perfectly and it's good when the odd author actually realises it.

Though I do get a bit annoyed by authors who's every book ends on a fatalistic or depressing note.

12:46 pm, October 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home