My Photo
Name:
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Some things suck.

So, my father just learned that he's got glaucoma - a hereditary condition that leads to blindness if untreated. His own father has just succumbed to it in his 80s, and it's been pretty hard work for the whole family; it's somewhat unusual for someone as young as my dad to have it show up so early. There's no cure as such, only ways to prevent or delay its progress, and if treatments don't work (which is always dubious), he could lose his sight within a couple of years. He's pretty cut up about it, in his quiet way, as is mum, and all of us. I love my dad more than pretty much anyone else in the world, and he's not had the easiest life, and it sucks, and I'm not happy. I want him to see his grandchildren grow up, and not have to sell his business and go on disability benefits, or be all dependent and house-bound before his time; I want him to live out the rest of his life pleasantly - he more than deserves it. I know it's not the worst thing in the world, and I am, as usual, fairly philosophical about it all in terms of taking what comes when there's nothing you can do about it, but still, you know...

Also there's the whole thing of it potentially being passed on to me. Some of mum's family have had it too. Not a nice thought. No point thinking about that just yet though.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That does suck. I hope things turn out okay for him. Yeah.

3:03 pm, June 26, 2007  
Blogger Christina said...

*hugs*

Man, that is tough. I hope it progresses very, very, very slowly. Will be thinking of you and your family.

6:29 pm, June 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. sounds tough. my thoughts are with you.

10:23 pm, June 26, 2007  
Blogger Ruth said...

yeah, that's not fair.

2:36 pm, June 27, 2007  
Blogger AJ said...

I'm gonna give you a hug and then we couldtalk?

11:48 pm, June 27, 2007  
Blogger Rebel Heart said...

Ginny Owens is a blind musician she has some great lyrics since she knows what it's like (especially If You Want Me To, This Road)

there's a book called Picking Up The Pieces by someone who lost it all too, she'd probably know what your dad's gonna go through and she doesn't write it like a counselor who thinks they know best and try to be motivational but don't know what it's like, most of the book is about how much it sucks and sometimes it's good just to hear someone else bitch and whine with you instead and not have them try to meet social expectations of having people try tell you they know how to get you through it

2:56 am, June 28, 2007  
Blogger Rebel Heart said...

couldn't find the author on google but it's at the St Tim's library if your dad might want to have a look at it, this chick was in a car accident at 19 and couldn't move her whole body anymore so spent the rest of her life being depressed, it's her story she wrote it herself

3:01 am, June 28, 2007  
Blogger Matthew P said...

That's quite a horrible situation... I'm sorry that it's happening.

If it's helpful to consider it from a bigger perspective, you could consider it in the light of the love that you have amongst them already. Unlike the condition, that love can continue to (and I'm sure will) grow even better, and it's far more important anyway.

(Not that this consideration will decrease the suckfulness of it, but it will at least put it in its place)

Take care :)

10:36 pm, July 01, 2007  
Blogger Kelly said...

Ouch. Will pray that it progresses as slowly as poss.

*Hugs*

9:08 pm, July 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home