Small

I feel rather like the person in my picture: bent to the ground, too scared to look at all the vastness around me, which will make me realise how small and foolish I am. In that position, I am the only thing in my sphere of vision. And that's more than enough for me to cope with for now.
There's just too much in the world. In the past 12 hours or so this has been brought forcibly to my attention by observing 2 discussions in which I was hopelessly unqualified to participate - it was all I could do to vaguely follow what was being said. The first was to do with science and physics and evolution and things. Fascinating stuff, that makes the whole world look utterly different to how I'd been thinking about it that morning. The second was the political/economic debate on Brehaut's blog, which I've just read. Way over my head - just enough to make me fret about issues I will never understand, lament my own ignorance and ponder the associated stupidity of my having the right to vote.
I get so narrow minded in my cosy little academic world. When you're there, it feels like it's the whole world, and it feels desperately important. But it isn't. It's only one little thing. And figuring out theology is the same. And figuring out the pitiful little events in my heart and mind and life are the same. What does it all matter?
But, again, there's just too much in the world. There's only time in one little life to understand a few little parts here and there, so why not philosophy and literature and my few responsibilities and my own character? To even briefly survey all the aspects of life about which I am woefully ignorant would take up the rest of my days, leaving me none to do anything about it. I dunno, some people seem to manage it, and know about everything. I guess I'm just not made that way. And really of course no one is made that way. No one has enough time.
Which is why I begin to think (and I say this tentatively, aware of its foolishness and susceptibility to derisive laughter) that the answers to life lie in things like art and metaphor. Art and metaphor are shortcuts. They are substitutes for what we don't have the time or means or ability to figure out in detail. They derive from those who have had time to figure things out, and they provide us with the essence of answers - meaning without detail. Or, sometimes, they derive from ourselves, from our own discoveries that we need to capture in a meaningful way so that we don't have to go through the whole process again next time we need the answer. We have no choice but to rely on these things when faced with our own limitations. They might be completely wrong, but what else can we do? In the meantime they can be very beautiful and give a kind of perceived order to the chaos.
I feel like I'm sitting in the corner with my eyes shut and my hands over my ears, singing to myself and rocking back and forth. But what else can I do?
Tomorrow I probably won't feel this way, and will get on with it again. Trying to figure things out, that is. And maybe I'll be brave enough to stand up in the desert again, and accept my smallness amid the vastness. Maybe it won't be so bad once I try it. Though the last time I tried was pretty terrifying...


6 Comments:
Dammit, when am I going to get over myself? It's really not that bad. Maybe Jim was right - I am just bitter. About not having been right for those first 19 years, about the world being too big for me, about having to admit that I'm a silly little girl. How do the rest of you manage to be so blase about things? Or is that just another way of putting your hands over your ears?
To tell the truth, I never noticed the person in that picture. But I'm not going to build on the metaphor with this, because often it's the other way round.
A lot of people feel like that person, but they just keep going anyway. Either they just ignore it, and keep pretending it isn't the case, or they embrace it, realizing that they aren't the only one that feel that way. Maybe it's when we embrace our smallness that we become 'big'?
(c.f. proverbs: He who thinks he is wise is a fool etc...)
If it helps (and it probably won't...) I've discovered that being hideously uninformed and *still participating* is the Way of the Internet. This can be observed in action at the aforementioned Brehaut's blog. I mean, *anyone* is qualified to participate in name-calling, and it doesn't take a lot of skill to completely ignore someone else's well-thought-out point and diss the way they spell. :-) I love the internets.
P.S. I mean it, three-quarters of the people in Brehaut's thread, myself included, should not have been participating. I KNOW NUSSINK!
Yeah, I agree with Matt. I'm about as politically aware as brain-damaged goldfish, and yet I somehow contributed to Brehaut's post. Sometimes not taking yourself seriously and just having a laugh at yourself is a good way to relieve all that tension and freak-out-ness.
The trick, I have found, is to nod and smile, and bluff your way round, and hang out with people who know stuff about, like, how bridges are meant to fly and why planes are constructed on a certain angle. Or, no, wait... oh yeah and the interwebs. Handy knowing people who know stuff about that :)
If you wanna learn stuff offhand, or sound like you know what you're talking about while still knowing nothing, ask mates or people who know stuff you don't a few leading questions and believe me, they will spend hours, literally hours expounding the deepest, darkest secrets of what a hook or a riff or a backwards strat is. (To take an utterly random example.)
I also get overwhelmed sometimes, and feel horribly unqualified to even wake up in the mornings and participate in life, but I think over time, (according to older people), you learn a bit more, and care a bit less.
Plus, some of the literary and philosophical stuff you know seems highly specialised and intimidating to me. Be proud of the stuff you know :)
So, what, is everyone just running around bluffing the whole time? Hoping no one will notice? Is our country being run by incompetent uneducated fakes? (no wait, nobody answer that...)
Heh, yeah, laughing at oneself is good. Mostly I'm quite good at it. Just not when I get in a mood or think too much. Sorry for my momentary mirthlessness :)
soak up as much as you can i reckon and learn as much about it as possible, i think something like economics is such an important part of life because it has such a large impact on why the world is the way it is today, what a difference it makes to people's lives, it's easy to just say it's an area that's not related to life but what governments do affects who is rich and who is poor, what countries are third world and what ones are prosperous
i don't know if it's wise to cover our ears to it, because it's kinda like some people saying ah i've got my own philosophy for life and don't need Christianity - i don't have time to study all the religions anyway. well, in some ways that's true but at the same time what if it could change your life, what if it's what changes the world?
this is just my own personal view but i think it's so sad that so many people are economically uninformed and how easy it is for them to believe anything a government says without having studied any economics at all and how it really works
Post a Comment
<< Home