My Photo
Name:
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Monday, February 20, 2006

En-rigmarole-ment

RRRAAAAAARRRRRRRR!!!!

Enrolment is like life - ought to be quite simple, but in fact inherently problematic.

My plan: do 2 normal English papers, 1 English research project, and 2 half-sized philosophy papers. (= one full time honours course)

Problem 1: you're not allowed to enrol for the research paper until you've had your proposal approved, and the approvals don't come through until the end of this week. Ok, I can deal with a little bit of uncertainty till then.

Problem 2: the selection of 1st semester philosophy papers is rather limited. Ok, I don't mind doing a paper on Sartre that I'm only mildly interested in.

Problem 3: only 3 people have enrolled in the first semester English paper I want to do, and for the lecturer to get paid for teaching it, there have to be at least 4. Solution: change it to a 'Directed Reading and Writing' paper with a different course code, in which there are no lectures, and we do all the research ourselves under the guidance of the supervisor, submitting a couple of essays along the way. Ok, it'll be a little more work but that's alright, it'll be good for me.

Problem 4: you're not technically allowed to do a research project and a directed reading paper the same year. Solution: persuade the co-ordinator that I can manage it, upon which (after looking at my previous grades) he agrees to overwrite the rule. Hurrah. But still have to change my enrolment to the new course code.

Problem 5: it turns out that the Sartre paper isn't being offered this year after all - despite the fact that it was listed on the website as going ahead, right up until 2 days ago, when I last checked. Tonight, when I looked again (to see if lecture times had been posted yet), it had changed to Plato, and had a different lecturer. What's with that? I'm guessing the Sartre one must have been last year's paper, which hadn't been updated to this year's topic. But come on philosophy department, the semester's started! Yeah. Raaarrr. So now I'm tossing up whether to change to something else or stick with Plato just to make things simpler, though as far as it goes I could take or leave it.

But ne'er mind. The world is full of bigger problems than mine, and I maintain a sunny optimism that it will all turn out alright in the end.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Rant away, Katherine, rant away. Ah, the downside to Art's departments :(

11:10 pm, February 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home