The previous post in summary form
My mind
Will not stop complaining, saying
She feels like an overstretched piece of elastic,
Weary with trying to support the weight
Of mystery.
My spirit
Is impatient, yearning after righteousness,
Frustrated that the foolish, uncultured mind
Forbids her to enjoy the sublime delight of
Surrender.
My heart,
Naive and heedless of either,
Flits among the pleasant groves within her reach,
Alighting contentedly on whatever is lovely,
And nestles there.
My body,
Bemused at the task of accommodating them all,
Each so earnestly striving within her,
Can see no other course but
To keep laughing.
Will not stop complaining, saying
She feels like an overstretched piece of elastic,
Weary with trying to support the weight
Of mystery.
My spirit
Is impatient, yearning after righteousness,
Frustrated that the foolish, uncultured mind
Forbids her to enjoy the sublime delight of
Surrender.
My heart,
Naive and heedless of either,
Flits among the pleasant groves within her reach,
Alighting contentedly on whatever is lovely,
And nestles there.
My body,
Bemused at the task of accommodating them all,
Each so earnestly striving within her,
Can see no other course but
To keep laughing.


5 Comments:
Wow Katherine, that's awesome!
All you need to do is add some block-rocking beats, and you'd have a phat-as gangsta rap!
Alternatively, you could put some acoustic guitar over the top, and you'd have a from-the-heart deep and meaningful song that tugs at heartstrings, yet captures your sense of humor and irony of the situation.
I tip my hat to a poet far more capable than myself. (I tip my hat a lot)
Noice!
Nice. Great imagery - I see you have mastered the art of saying a whole paragraph in a line. Do you write many poems? Songs even? Got any more?
Heh, nope, that was pretty much a one-off that I just felt like writing the other night. Well, there's been the odd little thing here and there. I like writing poetry, and am generally pretty happy with what I come up with; just not something I get around to very often. Songs: got a few chord sequences floating round the place that I'll one day put words to. Mostly I like to improvise, and don't often write down what I play. In terms of writing, what I'd really like is to write novels. Had one I was working on all through high school only I had to keep starting again as I kept growing up and seeing life from new perspectives, and now I've kind of put it on the back burner, perhaps permanently...awaiting new inspiration at this time. Writing, whether casually or formally, is one of those things that I have to do. I'm sure you know what I mean. I never go anywhere without a pen and paper. For me, ideas don't seem to just come to me out of the blue; however, they do tend to come when I put my mind to it. Glad I have your approval mate!
What a great poem!
It’s certainly something I can relate too, especially the part where... well, the first half at least, about the conflict between your mind and spirit. I know myself, having a very rational process of sorting through stuff (which often raises more questions than it addresses!), that my spirit doesn't have much freedom to express itself, despite my desire to just forget about any worries and inhibitions and to live unquestionably in submissive adoration of God. I believe that the two of them can exist in harmony, and I believe that when they do, it will allow God to have a significant impact in my life and through it, if nothing more than by the freedom of my spirit.
But that’s still a work in progress… it seems a long way away, but somehow I feel that its closer than it appears... its something I can look forward to at least.
Anyway, that’s enough of my ramblings… I should probably be posting something like that on my blog, rather than clutter your comments page! I hope that you can find some sort of encouragement somewhere in it though, or maybe something else to ponder.
Keep up with the creative writing, God’s certainly blessed you with an ability and a discernment for it! It’s motivated me to consider things from a more creative perspective anyway!
Post a Comment
<< Home