Not-so-boring text
In which Katherine has a play with the new things she's learned
With grateful recognition duly paid to la tutelle experte de monsieur Brehaut und zu den nuetzlichen Zusammenfassungen von Herren Argenbar und EONsim.
On the whole I find the little clickable buttons much more convenient for the following reasons:
- It's easier to remember coz of the little pictures and things
- It would make this look a lot prettier during the typing up process than it does at present


7 Comments:
Well you've certainly managed to get the hang of it pretty quickly! Is that done using the compose mode or by typing in the tags? Either way it appears your posts from now on are likely to be some what fancier.
Chad
Well now that you appear to have basic html down pat your ready for the next step.
Template editing.
Adding links to the sites you like, friends blogs and other things to the side bar of the blog.
Todo so go blogger main page > Change settings > template.
First thing to do is to copy and paste the current template into a text file on your harddrive so that if you stuff it up you can just replace the stuffed version with the older version. It's a good idea to save a copy after every success full change you make to the template. that way if something goes wrong sometime later you've still got most of the stuff you added.
Now what you want to do is scroll down the template till you see a tag something like this, it's near the bottom.
<$BlogMemberProfile$>
A little bit further down there should be something that looks like this。Note I'm using [] where it sould be <>。
[h2 class="sidebar-title"]Previous Posts[/h2]
[ul id="recent"]
...
[/ul]
Between that [/ul] and the next things is probaby the best place to but your links in.
The best method for list the links is to group them.
To start a new group hit enter a couple of times to give your self abit of room then.
[h2 class="sidebar-title"] LINK_SECTION_NAME [/h2]
[ul class="archive-list"]
[h3 class="sidebar-title"] LINK_TYPE [/h3]
[p]
[li][a title=”WHAT_EVER_YOU_LIKE” href=”http://www.example.com”] example.com[/a][/li]
...
And stick the rest of the links you want in that category. The [li][/li] just tells the computer that its a link and makes the blog change it so it looks like the other links on the blog.
Once you've finished that section of links simply go.
[/p]
And stick in a new header.
[h3 class="sidebar-title"] LINK_SECTION_2 [/h3]
[p]
Stick in the second lot of links
[/p]
Repeat that till you've stuck in all the links you want then end it with.
[/ul]
Click preview and have a look to see that its working. If the blog looks silly or odd then either make some changes or look for any mistakes you might have made.
If every thing looks good then click save template changes and then republish.
Oh dear me. I thought I'd absorbed enough information for one day! What exactly do you mean by saving the template to the hard-drive? I mean, in girly terms. Let's start there.
Ta for the help :)
Go to the template.
Select all the text that makes it up. Copy it ("ctrl + C" or what ever).
Go to the start menu > Programs > Accessories > Notepad.
Paste the text into the program. Save the file. Template backed up :)
Note that if you have msn messenger, yahoo messenger or ICQ it's much easier to explain things via chat than comments.
You can find my msn contact under my profile just add @hotmail.com to it to get the full thing.
Aaagh! Mental confusion abounds! Philosophy is nothing compared to this! Don't let outward appearances deceive you; though I appear to be a brunette, I'm actually a blonde on the inside. Feel free to have a patronizing laugh at my expense, but either I'm misunderstanding something or I mistyped something or else computers really do hate me. Or there may be another explanation. Anyway, the point is, I may require some real live one-on-one help here. Got the saving to the harddrive thing sorted (I think) but blogger wouldn't accept what I entered in the template. Re. MSN suggestion: once again, outside the realms of my capabilities at this stage. Might just have to put this one off till a later date.
Well apart from real live one-on-one help MSN's probably the easiest way to help you.
Here is a quick guide to getting it set up if you want to try.
Looking at the CU website it appears you have a hotmail email address which makes things nice and easy.
Go to this website. http://messenger.msn.com/download/
And click on the button below
"Have a Hotmail or MSN e-mail address?
Get MSN Messenger "
After the page loads it should ask you to download a file. Choose to save it somewhere and let it download.
Then go to where you saved it and run the file that downloaded.
Once it's finished installing it should stick a little Person shaped Icon down next to the clock as shown in the picture on the website. Double click on that and a little window should pop up. Click on the "Sign in" link in that window and a little box should appear asking for username/email and password simply enter your hotmail address and your hotmail password and it should sign you in if your connected to the internet.
One of two things could then happen it may tell you that falcdragcsh or EONsim has added you to his list and ask you what you want to do. If so make sure the option that says allow the person to contact you and something about adding them to your list is selected and click "yes".
That will add me to you list and if I'm on the internet you'll see a green person in the main window of Messenger Called EONsim. Double clicking on that will alow you to chat to me. If it's red I'm currently not on the internet.
If the above doesn't happen then click on contacts menu and look for the option "Add contact". Then enter my email address in the box that appears, It's
falcdragcsh at hotmail.com
(remove the spaces and change at to @ :P).
That will then add me to your list and next time I conect to the internet I'll add you to my list and you'll be able to chat.
Any way on to adding links. :)
This isn't working to well in the comment section I'll send you an email, check your hotmail address. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home