My Photo
Name:
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

A Postological Post

This afternoon I sat in a chair and thought myself into a stew (not literally) for about half an hour, and I almost wrote a post about the bizarre twistings and contortions of my brain and my emotions during that time. It would have taken the form of a largely incoherent rant, beginning with a whole lot of things I don't like about myself, progressing through a discussion of the interconnectedness of my mind and emotions, with some mention of the meaninglessness of everything, but focusing mostly on my present dissatisfaction with myself.

But then I thought, does anyone really need to know all that stuff? What reason could I provide for off-loading all my junk on all of you? It's not that I'm afraid to tell you what I'm 'really' like; it's more that I'm not sure how much it's really a good idea to discuss. In short, I'm not sure it's a good idea to be completely open about oneself - possibly even with one's very closest confidantes. Sure, honesty's good, but when it comes to my own irrational rantings, maybe I'm better to keep them to myself, rather than let them loose upon the world.

For me, this is especially pertinent in the case of writing, as the written form is particularly powerful, for two reasons that I can think of. Firstly, one tends to say things in writing that one wouldn't necessarily be brave enough to say in person, and secondly, writing is more permanent, and thus more analysable (?) than just talking. Also for me, writing is my main way of ordering my thoughts, but a side-effect of this is that I seem to have developed this habit of writing things into being, especially where my emotions are concerned. The actual act of writing/typing/whatever seems to fundamentally increase my belief in what it is I'm writing. So if I were to go ahead and give voice to my darker thoughts in this way, I would actually feel more bound by them than previously. So it wouldn't be a case of showing you the 'real' me, so much as actually creating this crazy pseudo-Katherine-monster-of-doom, without whom the world is probably a better place.

As I've said before, I am extremely moody on the inside, but for whatever reason this doesn't seem to affect my outer mood, or my behaviour, or really anything in the world except my own mind. [Heh, a logical positivist would say that if something has no effect on the world detectible through sense perception, it is meaningless to discuss it; and a phenomenalist would say it doesn't exist at all. But I may be taking these ideas somewhat out of context :)] So what is the point in posting about that kind of thing, except perhaps to attract sympathetic comments to make me feel better?

Here endeth the meta-post.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:24 pm, November 02, 2004  
Blogger Unknown said...

But then I thought, does anyone really need to know all that stuff? What reason could I provide for off-loading all my junk on all of you?You might not be able to provide a reason but I/we can. We Care about you and friends help friends when needed.


Also for me, writing is my main way of ordering my thoughts, but a side-effect of this is that I seem to have developed this habit of writing things into being, especially where my emotions are concerned. The actual act of writing/typing/whatever seems to fundamentally increase my belief in what it is I'm writing. So if I were to go ahead and give voice to my darker thoughts in this way, I would actually feel more bound by them than previously. So it wouldn't be a case of showing you the 'real' me, so much as actually creating this crazy pseudo-Katherine-monster-of-doom, without whom the world is probably a better place.Yes I know what you mean things you were not sure about tend to become more black and white when you write them and are forced to consider them in a hurry.

It may not be the true you as you see your self but it does give us some idea about what your thinking and the things that trouble you.
It's another view of you that hopefully we are all wise enough to work into our own views of you learning something about you in the process but to note let it dominate our view of you. Also if we don't know the darker thoughts then how can we help? We want to help if we can, though it can be hard for people to lower their barriers enough to truly discuss thethings that we consider to be "dark" about our selves.

One thing to consider is to we truly know our selves? Perhaps only God does and that life is about discovering who we are and what God is to us.

We're here as friends to help and serve one another as best we can. Some of us have gone through similar problems before having the disadvantage of being slightly older.
I think there is little that you could reveal about your self that would shock me, especially with regards to faith.

We are here to help, if your not willing or do not think it would be good to post some of your Ideas or thoughts on your blog then either let us know so we can talk in person to you, or try MSN or email. e.g. falcdragonATmaxnetDOTcoDOTnz

I know it can be hard to do, and if you are anything like me when it goes to discussing some ideas with others or attempting to do something in public ones heart may start to pound, one may feel dizzy and hot but those are things that can be overcome.

Any way we are here to help and at the very least listen and not condemn.

God bless you and I pray that that which troubles you will be overcome, feel free to talk to me or email me about any thing.


A thought I was thinking about my self and people in general a while back probably not relevant but none the less.

How many masks do I wear?
More than I can count.


Note if this comment seems to ramble I blame it on tiredness, all computers and books should be shiped off to the south poll during study break! Sorry for deleteing the previous one it was similar to this but made noticeably less sence.

10:05 pm, November 02, 2004  
Blogger Nathan said...

Hey, good post.

I especially liked the bit about 'writing into being'. If you want the psychological term for it, so that you can impress people with it, its cognitive dissonance. :D

Sometimes one has to wonder whether its worth being more and more open, trying to sus out "issues", or whether its better to just move on.

11:55 am, November 03, 2004  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very much dependent on the Person and the Issue I'd think as to wether it's better or possible to move on with out resolving it.

2:45 pm, November 03, 2004  
Blogger Kat said...

I think in this case the stuff I was thinking definitely falls into the category of 'better to move on' - just the usual 'I'm a faulty human being and wish I weren't' thoughts that I'm sure we're all familiar with. Not that I should move on in the sense of ignoring the issues, because there are definitely things I need to change about myself, but it doesn't do any good to dwell on them too much. Specially when I should be studying :)

*Sigh* I am so melodramatic. Maybe not outwardly but in my inner dialogues - uh, I mean monologues...aagh! crazy lady! Um, anyway...

Someone with whom I can identify is Earthworm in James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl: '"Poor old Earthworm; he loves to make everything into a disaster. He's only happy when he's miserable...now isn't that odd?"'

But anyway, Chad I'd say you're right that I'm still getting to know who I am. And yeah, I am aware and indescribably grateful that you guys would probably not condemn me for what I might say. [Not that there's really anything that scandalous to say, by the way - I'm just being melodramatic again] I could hardly hope for a more understanding and forgiving group of people if I did feel inclined to spill my guts. Oh how I love you all! You are all amazing. I shall endeavour to deserve you. God is so good.

2:20 pm, November 04, 2004  
Blogger Michelle said...

Aah Katherine.. now i know you like being put in boxes, so i shall give you another one. I think you are a melancholic (Frances Littaeur Style "Personality Plus").. they can be picked a mile off :P

3:52 pm, November 04, 2004  
Blogger Kat said...

Michelle: yes, yes, that would be right. What is sometimes called a 'musician's temperament' (not that it applies to all musicians of course). But I'm actually really happy underneath it all :)

Hurrah for boxes. So safe and cosy. Maybe one day I'll break out; then y'all won't know what hit you...

9:38 am, November 05, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home