My Photo
Name:
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Saturday, August 28, 2004

More abstract ramblings (and a brief moan)

I'm sick. [sniffs] I'm getting a cold. [coughs pathetically] First one this year. [looks downcast] I really thought I'd get through another whole year without one. [ever-so-cautiously opens one eye to sneak a peek and see if anyone's looking sympathetic]

So anyway, a couple of my non-blogging friends have had a look at my blog this week. Their reaction: 'yes, you do think too much'. But of course I can't help it. Sigh. It's exhausting being me sometimes. It would be nice if I could work out just a slightly better balance between my inner and outer self - a little less of the shyness and social ineptitude, balanced by a little less of the profusion of inner 'ponderosity'. In case you hadn't noticed, I'm not too hot in the small-talk and making-conversation-in-real-life departments. I always feel like I come across as quite aloof and unfriendly. [Hey, it's snowing!] But I'm not on the inside! (unfriendly, that is; not snowing - though the latter is also true.)

Part of it is that I tend to always start from an assumption that other people know more than I do, and I prefer to just listen and learn. I'm one of those people who always wants everyone else to be happy, and who prefers not to rock the boat by offering a contradictory view, at least unless I know the person well, or if I can bear a mistaken view no longer. Aka a coward? One day I'll have to get over that, and learn to be bolder. Jesus wasn't one to keep things smooth on the surface.

Slight tangent: maybe Sartre was right in his ideas about 'positing an ego', at least to some extent. Sartre thought we bring no distinct identity into the world with us when we are born, but learn to define ourselves in particular ways as we go through life, and then come to think we are limited by our 'personality traits'. So for example I have come to think of myself as shy, so now I fall back on that 'trait' as an excuse for my behaviour, when actually there is nothing to keep me from acting completely 'against my character' in the future. Sartre, if I remember correctly, took the idea further and suggested that the very concept of the 'self' is just such a mental construction too, which doesn't make much sense to me.

He had some other interesting ideas too, though. He thought the reason we posit egos is that, if we were honest, we would have to acknowledge that there is nothing to directly limit our behaviour in the world, and we could go ahead and do just anything. So, in fear of this chaos, we instinctively search for things by which we can gauge any 'truth' about the world, and we pretend there are things other than our own wills guiding our behaviour - 'personalities' - to lessen the burden of responsibility. He thought we posit ethical values for the same reason, which of course I don't accept.

His picture is rather bleak, and in some ways I think a good discription of what life would be like if we didn't have faith in God to hold onto. Still, it might be a helpful idea to see personalities as something we are not bound by, though once we accept the existence of God, the prospect of 'escaping' our personalities need not cause fear and uncertainty, but can be seen as real freedom.

Not that any of this makes it easier in real life for me to come out of my shell. Which might suggest Sartre was completely wrong and my personality is a real 'thing'. But no, God must be capable of overcoming it.

Blah blah blah. One day maybe I'll write about something in real life, and not just abstract speculation.

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well I hope it passes quickly.

Yes I also seem to lack the ability to generate large amounts of small talk. Which is a pain because it always leads to annoying silences unless the other person can keep up a constant flow :(.

About the only type of small talk that I'm ood at unfortunatly is computing or science and can bable on about that for hours but most peolpe are that interested in that and so I try to avoid it and think up other things and end up sitting there quitely trying to appear busy or thoughtful a cup of drinks so useful then you can appear to drink it for hours and avoid having to try and make talk.

As for being a cowardly because you don't want to argue or hurt peoples feelings I'd disagree with that idea. As it can be equally well argued that those who keep on talking and talking are afraid and trying to hide it. By not allowing any one a word in edge ways.


As for the Sartre stuff I'd agree to quite a degree with the first idea of his that you mentioned that we define our selves or at least a large part of our selves through our experinces in life, but I'd also make a couple of additions. One that our genetics to a certain extent guides or atleast limits the options availiable to us putting outer limits on they way our personality can develop and that God can have some effect on both our perceptions of reality (for both Christians and Non I think.). The Genetic element would be MUCH less noticable that the Environmental/Nurture effect but would still be there. As in if a person has a genetic tendency to obesity it's likely to affect there out look some what.

To a certain degree I'd also accept the second idea too that self is a mental construct. How we think of our self is rarely accurate I think. Most of us tend to focus on specific abilities and facets of our nature and often take an overly opomistic or pesimistic view of our selves. A few that differs sometimes greatly from what and how the rest of the world and God sees us certain mental illness's could possibly be explained for by this to some degree. Where our mental "image/construct" differs so greatly from our physical self that we attempt to change our selves to fit the mental Image even if it is imposible to reach or that the consequnces of doing so are horrific (Anorexia being a possible example).

Hmm looking at this I think I might have gone off at some what of a tangent, ah well to bad.

I can also see some truth in the final Idea of his that you've mentioned that we construct the image to avoid the true that the world It's self does not directly limit our actions and therefore we have onstructed an Illusion to shield our selves from that. However that assumes that God doesn't exist an assumption which I obviously completely and utterly disagree with! However I do get the feeling that some who completely reject God turning completely a way from him are force to live with such an Illusion to continue there existance and that those who Ignore God make use of such an Illusion to with often fatal consequences when they break free of the Illusion while ignorant or rejecting God.


As for coming out of your shell It'll no doubt take time, with a fair bit of effort from you involving doing stuff that your not intirely comfortable with and Trust in God to help deal with it.

:-)
Well it would appear that I've still not completely broken free of my "Shell" even though having made some effort in the last couple of years to do so. One possible proof of that being theres no way on earth that I could ever discuss such things with a person face to face.

Now it's late and I need SLEEP! So off to bed I go.

Hope you can make sence of this my thoughts aren't always the most organised at 3am. Hopefully you can also make snece of the email that hopefully explains how to play around with the links.

To all who read this.
God Bless you, Protect you and Keep you.

2:58 am, August 28, 2004  
Blogger Nathan said...

Woah! I was going to read the comments, but then I had a little look at chads... :)

I think I like what Sartre was saying, I'm hoping it issn't Satire.
While I wouldn't suggest anyone completly adopts a view point, I would suggest we can learn from what he says.

I like what he says about people and the like (fits in quite nicely with a cognitive approach to psychology, and also with various successful attempts I've made at changing myself), but I do disagree with the whole 'the universe is chaotic' thing. So I see his picture (less the chaos bit) to be rather bright, and not at all bleak - If personality, the self, are just mental constructions, then indeed, we have a lot of potential.

2:10 pm, August 30, 2004  
Blogger M Ronayne said...

[looks sympathetic]

Hey Katherine! Just so you know, I have a massive head cold as well - and being overseas means that I can't just stay in bed feeling sick, or as Sam would say, "seek".

I must admit - I used to eb in the much-too-much thinking category, but I have since cut it back, because I got myself in some pretty sticky situations because of it. It is kind of like pyromania, as you said before, because you are anything like me, you are considering concepts that can seriously mess you up. I effectively painted myself into a theological corner last year, which wasn't fun, and I had to sit and wait for the paint to effectively dry before I could venture out in the world again.

People can snow on the inside..... it's just proving it becomes a little messy.

Anyways - from a former crustacean, who has only recently come out of his impenetrable calcified fortress.... "come on out, the water's fine".

9:11 pm, August 30, 2004  
Blogger Philotas said...

Man, you guys took all the good comments! :) now what can i say that hasnt already been said! :P

On the Sartre theories, i kind of agree. I believe that our personalities are developed, in contrast to everyone else around us. that is, we establish our identity and individuality by comparing ourselves (on some level) to others. if you are around extroverts all the time, and you are not as loud as they are, then you will consider yourself shy. its all contextualised.

(sidetrack for anyone who has seen Neon Genesis: Evangelion - they have the A.T. fields as the shileds? i found out after watching that the A.T. field stood for 'Absolute Terror' field. this is a psych concept apparently, that helps us define our selves from other's selves. the sense of defining ourselves in the midst of a sea of people, and that this binds and holds us together. which kinda explains what happened in the end of Eva! :P)

Anyway, back to the issue at hand! I used to be an introvert. i guess in some ways i still am. but now i have gotten really good at making small talk! i think thats my work shining through, retail jobs force you to interact i guess! :D Listening is a good skill though! and the shyness is something we all deal with on some level, so you're not alone there! ^_^

btw! Thats the way you say sick! Sick! sick sick sick. theres not as much 'ee' sound though, not as much as seek. man! Kiwis talk weird! :P

2:59 am, August 31, 2004  
Blogger Kat said...

Thanks again fellas. You're all marvellous.

Argenbar: nice (in a way?) to know I'm not the only one who has ever thought themself into a corner and then been unable to see the way forward. Glad to be reminded that it's possible to turn away from the corner, though, and see the room again. A work in progress; more on this later perhaps. (Though I do worry that if I tell people the things that are confusing me, I'll set them down the same path and mess up their heads too. What to do?)

Why don't any girls comment on my blog? How can I entice them?

11:09 pm, August 31, 2004  
Blogger Kat said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:16 pm, August 31, 2004  
Blogger Kat said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:17 pm, August 31, 2004  
Blogger Kat said...

Oh confound it all, how did that happen? Did I mention I'm blonde on the inside? So how do you remove comments?

1:30 am, September 01, 2004  
Blogger Unknown said...

To remove a comment click on the little trash icon next to the comment.

And stop using the blond excuse! That was Blogger playing up I've had the same problem at least once and if theres two things I can't be accused of thats being (literaly:P) blond or computer illiterate!

Bashing one's self, even in humour, repeatedly is hardly good for ones self.


Well any way it's 3:30am and I need sleep seeing I need to be up and at uni by 10am today.

God bless and protect all.

3:30 am, September 01, 2004  
Blogger Nathan said...

How does calling oneself blonde on the inside constitute bashing? Its self-complimenting!

Honestly...

11:30 am, September 01, 2004  
Blogger Nathan said...

(Out of interest, does the Idiomatic Phrase (word) at the end of my comment make sense to anyone apart from me? Idioms are weird.)

11:32 am, September 01, 2004  
Blogger Kat said...

EONsim: fair enough. After my comment on Kelly's blog the other day about guys putting themselves down, I ought to have learnt that one. (oops, was I just putting myself down again? maybe a post on this topic is in order...)

Nato: no offense intended against blond(e)s, of course. "Some of my best friends are blond(e)..."
;)

6:02 pm, September 01, 2004  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well that could be interesting :-).

Hope your enjoying your holidays.

Chad

7:50 pm, September 01, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home