My Photo
Name:
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Boring text

How do you do fun stuff like italics and bullet points and things on this thing? I can't find it. Is there some toolbar or something I have to get from somewhere? Any other tricks I should know, come to think of it? (reading the help menu is not a realistic option, I feel)

5 Comments:

Blogger M Ronayne said...

ahah! It sounds like someone wants to jazz up their page :)

Blogger runs on a simplified version of HTML. I don't know how much you know about HTML, but it operates on something called tags.

Basically you put these "tags" around whatever text you want to muck with: (Replace the square brackets with pointy ones).

[b] This should give you bold text [/b]

Note that the slash in front of the same letter inside the tag turns the tag off.

other ones you might want to play with are:
[li] - Indent
[tt] - Typewriter effect
[i] - Italics
[u] - Underline
[strike] - Strikethrough
[center] - Centers things
[h1] - very big text
[h6] - very small text (h2,3,4,5 are ones in between)
[blockquote] - similar to [li]

You can put in links using the [a href="http://www.yourwebpagehere.com"] Linkname [/a] tags.

These should get you started :) Have fun!

1:25 am, August 24, 2004  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well mikes covered the basics.

You should be able to use the tool bar when you post to format your blog like in Word.

Note that to work with it like in Word you need to click on the Compose tab before typing in your post.

If you want to work using the html tags directly as suggested by Mike you want to click on the Edit HTML tab. Which I think is default.

2:35 am, August 24, 2004  
Blogger Kat said...

Oh cripes. Sounds complicated. And I'm only a girl after all. Thanks, however. :)

2:48 am, August 24, 2004  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's not that bad really you'll quickly get the hang of it :).
One option that might make things easier (not sure as haven't tried it) is to type it all up in Word then open a new post click compose and cut and paste the stuff from word. It should remeber all the formating stuff I think.


Nice to see another soul who maintains some what similar hours :)

3:05 am, August 24, 2004  
Blogger Unknown said...

These Two old posts of Brehauts might also be of use.

Web Basics for bloggers and Web Basics part 2

3:22 am, August 24, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home