2009
Let's get out those questions again from last year, the better to analyse ourselves with. Because that is fun.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
-Ha. Hahahahaha. Well quite a lot of things.
-Had my own place :D
-Hosted strangers in it.
-Ate reindeer.
-Lived away from Christchurch for more than 3 weeks together.
-Milked some animals.
-Made sauerkraut.
-Knitted stuff.
-Hitch-hiked.
-Saw owls, squirrels and foxes.
-Got asked to be a bridesmaid.
-Other.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for the next year?
-Didn't make any. Or if I did I've forgotten them. This year's: less sugar.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
-Two very dear friends became fathers. But in both cases I don't know the relevant woman so well.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
-No. Have now survived a quarter of a century without that ever happening. I did go to the funeral of an acquaintance though. First one I've been to since I was 4. I think.
5. What countries did you visit?
-England, Iceland, Norway and Scotland. And passed through Hong Kong and Denmark.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
-Friends in Scotland? I didn't lack very much in 2009.
-Oh I guess maybe a lover and a plan. For after this I mean.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched in your memory, and why?
-July 15 left NZ
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
-Just all of it really.
9. What was your biggest failure of the year?
-FAILURE TO LEARN OF GOOD CONCERTS IN TIME TO SEE THEM.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
-Nope, apart from the expected winter cold. One for each winter.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
-My wonderful wonderful little $10 op-shop boots that go with everything and have been worn everywhere.
-That treacle pudding we had in Saltash. OH MY.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
-Eyrun, the woman in Norway who put us up for a night having met us once in the most passing of fashions, and with whom we spent a spectacularly enjoyable evening in Oslo.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
-The people we stayed with, who shall remain nameless, whose parenting 'methods' made us gape at one another in utter bewilderment, and wonder at what point one should really say something.
-My own, of course, at various times.
-My brother's behaviour made me deeply, deeply confused.
-The English. Bastards. And kind of the whole human race. Wtf.
14. Where did most of your money go?
-Transport.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
-Farming.
-Fleet Foxes.
-Possibilities.
16. What song will always remind of you of 2009?
-Feist 'The Park' (my fuck I'm lonely song).
-Devendra Banhart 'Mama Wolf' (my hehe the world is kind of neat and so am I song).
-Soulsavers 'No Expectations' (my leaving Iceland song).
-Of Montreal 'Bunny Ain't No Kind Of Rider' (my wandering round and round Edinburgh looking for a job but feeling oddly upbeat song).
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
-Happier. Well, the year has been. At this very moment I'm a little bit blah.
b) fatter or thinner?
-Same I think. Haven't been near any scales for months.
c) richer or poorer?
-Poorer.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
-Writing.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
-Eating junkfood.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
-Stayed with Meg in Weem. Exchanged stockings. Succeeded in completely stunning her with the perfect gift, woop. Phoned the folks. Trudged into town through the snow. Ate curry with some strangers. Carols at the piano. Christmas dinner with the staff (shouldn't have eaten so much curry). Mulled wine and other tasty beverages. Watched some telly.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
-Several times.
22. What was your favourite TV programme?
-No TV the whole year :D
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
-No. Though I feel more capable of hating in general.
24. What was the best book you read?
-The Little House in the Big Woods series. Accentuated by the fact that we were living in a similar style at the time. Magic.
-The Earthsea Chronicles.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
-Going to gigs on my own.
26. What did you want and get?
-Skills.
-Stories.
-Fulfilment?
27. What did you want and not get?
-Love all sorted.
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
-Let the Right One In.
29. What did you do on your birthday and how old did you turn?
-Turned 25. Marked essays.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
-Friends in Scotland.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
-Gumboots.
32. What kept you sane?
-Life being awesome.
-Meg.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
-Devendra Banhart
-Aaron Weiss
(same as last year. I am so constant.)
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
-Got briefly very riled up about the U.S. government effectively making organic farming illegal, until I realised that's not what was happening. OR WAS IT?
35. Who did you miss?
-Everyone. Though really y'all don't seem that far away.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Can I have several?
-James
-Julia
-Henning
-Cyp
-Simon
-That guy I served a burger to yesterday who had the prettiest eyes I have Ever Seen.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
-It is a good idea to do the thing that you know you should do.
-Garlic should be planted right on the brink of Winter.
-Electricity is for the weak.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
-Fleet Foxes, 'Sun Giant':
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
-Ha. Hahahahaha. Well quite a lot of things.
-Had my own place :D
-Hosted strangers in it.
-Ate reindeer.
-Lived away from Christchurch for more than 3 weeks together.
-Milked some animals.
-Made sauerkraut.
-Knitted stuff.
-Hitch-hiked.
-Saw owls, squirrels and foxes.
-Got asked to be a bridesmaid.
-Other.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for the next year?
-Didn't make any. Or if I did I've forgotten them. This year's: less sugar.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
-Two very dear friends became fathers. But in both cases I don't know the relevant woman so well.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
-No. Have now survived a quarter of a century without that ever happening. I did go to the funeral of an acquaintance though. First one I've been to since I was 4. I think.
5. What countries did you visit?
-England, Iceland, Norway and Scotland. And passed through Hong Kong and Denmark.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
-Friends in Scotland? I didn't lack very much in 2009.
-Oh I guess maybe a lover and a plan. For after this I mean.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched in your memory, and why?
-July 15 left NZ
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
-Just all of it really.
9. What was your biggest failure of the year?
-FAILURE TO LEARN OF GOOD CONCERTS IN TIME TO SEE THEM.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
-Nope, apart from the expected winter cold. One for each winter.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
-My wonderful wonderful little $10 op-shop boots that go with everything and have been worn everywhere.
-That treacle pudding we had in Saltash. OH MY.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
-Eyrun, the woman in Norway who put us up for a night having met us once in the most passing of fashions, and with whom we spent a spectacularly enjoyable evening in Oslo.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
-The people we stayed with, who shall remain nameless, whose parenting 'methods' made us gape at one another in utter bewilderment, and wonder at what point one should really say something.
-My own, of course, at various times.
-My brother's behaviour made me deeply, deeply confused.
-The English. Bastards. And kind of the whole human race. Wtf.
14. Where did most of your money go?
-Transport.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
-Farming.
-Fleet Foxes.
-Possibilities.
16. What song will always remind of you of 2009?
-Feist 'The Park' (my fuck I'm lonely song).
-Devendra Banhart 'Mama Wolf' (my hehe the world is kind of neat and so am I song).
-Soulsavers 'No Expectations' (my leaving Iceland song).
-Of Montreal 'Bunny Ain't No Kind Of Rider' (my wandering round and round Edinburgh looking for a job but feeling oddly upbeat song).
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
-Happier. Well, the year has been. At this very moment I'm a little bit blah.
b) fatter or thinner?
-Same I think. Haven't been near any scales for months.
c) richer or poorer?
-Poorer.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
-Writing.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
-Eating junkfood.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
-Stayed with Meg in Weem. Exchanged stockings. Succeeded in completely stunning her with the perfect gift, woop. Phoned the folks. Trudged into town through the snow. Ate curry with some strangers. Carols at the piano. Christmas dinner with the staff (shouldn't have eaten so much curry). Mulled wine and other tasty beverages. Watched some telly.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
-Several times.
22. What was your favourite TV programme?
-No TV the whole year :D
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
-No. Though I feel more capable of hating in general.
24. What was the best book you read?
-The Little House in the Big Woods series. Accentuated by the fact that we were living in a similar style at the time. Magic.
-The Earthsea Chronicles.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
-Going to gigs on my own.
26. What did you want and get?
-Skills.
-Stories.
-Fulfilment?
27. What did you want and not get?
-Love all sorted.
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
-Let the Right One In.
29. What did you do on your birthday and how old did you turn?
-Turned 25. Marked essays.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
-Friends in Scotland.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
-Gumboots.
32. What kept you sane?
-Life being awesome.
-Meg.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
-Devendra Banhart
-Aaron Weiss
(same as last year. I am so constant.)
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
-Got briefly very riled up about the U.S. government effectively making organic farming illegal, until I realised that's not what was happening. OR WAS IT?
35. Who did you miss?
-Everyone. Though really y'all don't seem that far away.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Can I have several?
-James
-Julia
-Henning
-Cyp
-Simon
-That guy I served a burger to yesterday who had the prettiest eyes I have Ever Seen.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
-It is a good idea to do the thing that you know you should do.
-Garlic should be planted right on the brink of Winter.
-Electricity is for the weak.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
-Fleet Foxes, 'Sun Giant':
What a life I lead in the summer
What a life I lead in the spring
What a life I lead when the wind it breathes
What a life I lead in the spring
What a life I lead when the sun breaks free
As a giant torn from the clouds
What a life indeed when that ancient seed
Is a-buried, watered and ploughed


4 Comments:
THERE IS FLEET FOXES I HAVE NOT HEARD!?!?!?
Also, much of this made me clanothelthoth. Especially "this year, oi'll be mostly wearin' goom-boots." (Which, admittedly, I heard more than read.)
Aah I haven't heard the EP is why.
You should prolly go do that.
Also LOCHL.
An impressively busy year, hope this next one keeps you as interested as the last. Enjoy Europe what ever you do!
Post a Comment
<< Home