Misandry?
A Swedish guy told me that in Sweden (and possibly elsewhere - I don't know) it is fairly common practice for bars to have a 'women drink for free' policy. Aim: get more women in bars so more men will come and buy more drinks.
Also, many taxi companies have a 'women ride for free' policy. Aim: get more women home safely.
Apparently there's a bit of public resistance to these policies these days, as discriminatory.
Discuss. (if you want...)
Also, many taxi companies have a 'women ride for free' policy. Aim: get more women home safely.
Apparently there's a bit of public resistance to these policies these days, as discriminatory.
Discuss. (if you want...)


2 Comments:
Well, that's two quite different practices. Number two could be seen as fair correction for the fact that it's far safer for men to walk home than women; no one is disadvantaged by the practice, and it makes some women safer than they'd otherwise be.
The "drink for free" policy is canny business practice; men go where the women are. I think it's a natural outcome of the men-pursue-women model of gender-relations. I'm not particularly enthused about it, though. One could argue that it's pretty objectifying of women -- they're no longer patrons/customers, they're just the bait to attract the real patrons.
That would be my thoughts.
Indeed. My feeling was that I'd probably be inclined to avoid such bars, because of the way I would fear my presence would be interpreted. Like, "I know why it is that I'm wanted here and I'm down with that - as indicated by my acceptance of the associated perks. Fire at will."
In both cases though, I also wonder how they go about determining a person's sex. If someone who looks like a man says they're a woman, what's the taxi driver gonna do?
Post a Comment
<< Home