2008
I would like to reflect on the past year, though it's a bit difficult since much of what was important involves personal stuff about others. And about myself, for that matter. So the following is an internet-friendly version of my year (with questions shamelessly ripped off from Christina's blog).
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
-Ate quinoa.
-Had a surprise party thrown for me! (if that counts as 'doing' something)
-Suspended a friendship.
-Underwent training/education that might actually have some career prospects (eventually).
-Grew vegetables. That didn't die.
-Did a spontaneous overnight cycling trip.
-Tried yoga. Fun times.
-Staged a mini protest at church.
-Actually made some progress on that novel I've been workin' on for quite some time. (Gotta, gotta compelling protagonist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Mm?)
-Learned how to say no to people, and to actually value my own needs enough to stick up for them, even if it means people might not like me as much. Well, made a start down that track anyway.
-Experienced strange euphoric feelings regarding American politics.
-Watched some anime. It was totally awesome.
-Got counselling.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for the next year?
I don't really do new year ones, and haven't for the coming year either. However, I did make some resolutions at various points during the year. Some that I kept:
-cut down petrol usage (bonus prizes: discovered that cycling is really fun, got a bunch fitter, lost weight and saved money. Yus.)
-cut down consumption of meat and animal products
-got out of the habit of overdrawing my bank account (ooh, except that one's creeping back on me a little of late).
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
-No, no one I'm *really* close to. I think Justin and Sue must've had their baby in '08, but I didn't really know them then.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
-No. Have now survived nearly a quarter of a century without that ever happening.
5. What countries did you visit?
-None.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
-Enough savings to go overseas.
-Would like to have a job I enjoy, but am pretty much resigned to that not happening in the near future.
-A bit more self-discipline I guess. Getting there.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched in your memory, and why?
-May 8 (I think?). Our flat exploded.
-June 1 :)
-June 11 :D
-June 14. My bedroom got filled up with balloons and friends and happiness!
-The whole of November, when I did NaNoWriMo.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
-Might keep that one to myself.
9. What was your biggest failure of the year?
-Failing to change jobs and get enough money together would be one.
-Failing to nip this oversleeping thing in the bud is also pretty disappointing. I should be better than that.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
-Nah. Have been kinda weary a lot, but nothing significant. Sliced a piece out of my thumb with a cheese slicer.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
-Envirosax bag.
-Fabulous orange dress for $6.50.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
-The people of America.
-Matt and Ray.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
-Sarah Palin?
-The mother of a certain dear friend.
14. Where did most of your money go?
-Rent, food etc
-Study
-All I could spare to savings. No major purchases.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
-Obama.
-The wonderfulness of my friends.
-Going to Europe.
-Life. God I love it!
16. What song will always remind of you of 2008?
-Bright Eyes 'First day of my life'.
-Dappled Cities 'Holy chord' and 'Fire fire fire'.
-Devendra Banhart 'Saved'.
-Led Zeppelin 'Babe I'm gonna leave you' and 'Ramble on'.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
-Hm, kind of more of both? My emotions seem to have got more intense generally. And more authentic/honest.
b) fatter or thinner?
-Thinner. Just a little bit.
c) richer or poorer?
-More in the bank, less in my pocket. Earning about the same amount.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
-Reading. Have done hardly any this year, and my list keeps getting longer.
-Catching up with people I guess. I feel like I've become more insular during the year somehow, and I didn't mean to. Maybe it's just coz there are less people around.
-Yoga.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
-Internetting at work.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
-Lazily with the family. Then watched a movie at a friend's place. Hugged my flatmate.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
-I've never understood that phrase. Still not sure I believe in 'in love' as opposed to just 'love'. (how's that for an answer that's not an answer?)
22. What was your favourite TV programme?
-Wolf's Rain (if I'm allowed to count that).
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
-No.
24. What was the best book you read?
-Hm, did I actually finish any books? Surely something other than Twilight? Ah yes, Ginsberg's 'Howl'. Phew. Well, out of those two, Howl was the best.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
-That I enjoy singing. Or was that the year before?
-Those Takeaway Show things on the interwebs. What are they called again Matt?
-Bob Dylan.
26. What did you want and get?
-New friends.
27. What did you want and not get?
-Money.
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
-Wall-E
-Runner up: The Dark Knight
29. What did you do on your birthday and how old did you turn?
-Turned 24. Had friends over for mulled wine and music making. Had a moment. Then had a surprise party thrown for me a couple of days later. Turns out you shouldn't plan your own birthday party.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
-I dunno, it was pretty satisfying. Events don't make a year satisfying; one's reaction to them does.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
-Went a bit more hippy/folky. Have bought almost nothing new but a few wonderful things second hand. Also possibly got a bit more...I dunno, confident? Short shorts and bare shoulders have been prominent. Could be interpreted as exhibitionist, but to me it has felt like being more comfortable with my body. Colours have tended towards black, brown and white with occasional crazy brightly coloured things. I have discovered hats.
32. What kept you sane?
-Flatmates and friends
-Myself (I'm getting pretty good at it)
-Philosophy
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
-Devendra Banhart
-Aaron Weiss
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
-U.S. election.
-Ours was kinda fun too, in its way.
-I'm afraid I can't really recall any others :s
35. Who did you miss?
-I seldom seem to miss people. I live in the moment.
-Missed God a little bit.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
-Kim
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
-It is more helpful, to myself and to everyone else, to be honest about who I am and what I need and want, than to try and be heroic and self-sacrificial all the time. I won't necessarily *get* the things I need and want, which is fine, but I should be honest about what those things are and let people decide for themselves. Trying to 'save' people merely delays their growth. I'm still not quite comfortable with this concept though, and would very much like to believe that self-sacrifice still has its place. Maybe the point is that it doesn't work as a whole lifestyle, and mercy is only powerful when justice is also taken seriously.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
-"I was saved by the fire that was burning deep inside of myself; I was a knave to desire, but I finally got a little bit of help". -Devendra Banhart 'Saved'. (The 'knave to desire' part's not really relevant but I kinda have to leave it in so the rest makes sense.)
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
-Ate quinoa.
-Had a surprise party thrown for me! (if that counts as 'doing' something)
-Suspended a friendship.
-Underwent training/education that might actually have some career prospects (eventually).
-Grew vegetables. That didn't die.
-Did a spontaneous overnight cycling trip.
-Tried yoga. Fun times.
-Staged a mini protest at church.
-Actually made some progress on that novel I've been workin' on for quite some time. (Gotta, gotta compelling protagonist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Mm?)
-Learned how to say no to people, and to actually value my own needs enough to stick up for them, even if it means people might not like me as much. Well, made a start down that track anyway.
-Experienced strange euphoric feelings regarding American politics.
-Watched some anime. It was totally awesome.
-Got counselling.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for the next year?
I don't really do new year ones, and haven't for the coming year either. However, I did make some resolutions at various points during the year. Some that I kept:
-cut down petrol usage (bonus prizes: discovered that cycling is really fun, got a bunch fitter, lost weight and saved money. Yus.)
-cut down consumption of meat and animal products
-got out of the habit of overdrawing my bank account (ooh, except that one's creeping back on me a little of late).
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
-No, no one I'm *really* close to. I think Justin and Sue must've had their baby in '08, but I didn't really know them then.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
-No. Have now survived nearly a quarter of a century without that ever happening.
5. What countries did you visit?
-None.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
-Enough savings to go overseas.
-Would like to have a job I enjoy, but am pretty much resigned to that not happening in the near future.
-A bit more self-discipline I guess. Getting there.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched in your memory, and why?
-May 8 (I think?). Our flat exploded.
-June 1 :)
-June 11 :D
-June 14. My bedroom got filled up with balloons and friends and happiness!
-The whole of November, when I did NaNoWriMo.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
-Might keep that one to myself.
9. What was your biggest failure of the year?
-Failing to change jobs and get enough money together would be one.
-Failing to nip this oversleeping thing in the bud is also pretty disappointing. I should be better than that.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
-Nah. Have been kinda weary a lot, but nothing significant. Sliced a piece out of my thumb with a cheese slicer.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
-Envirosax bag.
-Fabulous orange dress for $6.50.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
-The people of America.
-Matt and Ray.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
-Sarah Palin?
-The mother of a certain dear friend.
14. Where did most of your money go?
-Rent, food etc
-Study
-All I could spare to savings. No major purchases.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
-Obama.
-The wonderfulness of my friends.
-Going to Europe.
-Life. God I love it!
16. What song will always remind of you of 2008?
-Bright Eyes 'First day of my life'.
-Dappled Cities 'Holy chord' and 'Fire fire fire'.
-Devendra Banhart 'Saved'.
-Led Zeppelin 'Babe I'm gonna leave you' and 'Ramble on'.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
-Hm, kind of more of both? My emotions seem to have got more intense generally. And more authentic/honest.
b) fatter or thinner?
-Thinner. Just a little bit.
c) richer or poorer?
-More in the bank, less in my pocket. Earning about the same amount.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
-Reading. Have done hardly any this year, and my list keeps getting longer.
-Catching up with people I guess. I feel like I've become more insular during the year somehow, and I didn't mean to. Maybe it's just coz there are less people around.
-Yoga.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
-Internetting at work.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
-Lazily with the family. Then watched a movie at a friend's place. Hugged my flatmate.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
-I've never understood that phrase. Still not sure I believe in 'in love' as opposed to just 'love'. (how's that for an answer that's not an answer?)
22. What was your favourite TV programme?
-Wolf's Rain (if I'm allowed to count that).
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
-No.
24. What was the best book you read?
-Hm, did I actually finish any books? Surely something other than Twilight? Ah yes, Ginsberg's 'Howl'. Phew. Well, out of those two, Howl was the best.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
-That I enjoy singing. Or was that the year before?
-Those Takeaway Show things on the interwebs. What are they called again Matt?
-Bob Dylan.
26. What did you want and get?
-New friends.
27. What did you want and not get?
-Money.
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
-Wall-E
-Runner up: The Dark Knight
29. What did you do on your birthday and how old did you turn?
-Turned 24. Had friends over for mulled wine and music making. Had a moment. Then had a surprise party thrown for me a couple of days later. Turns out you shouldn't plan your own birthday party.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
-I dunno, it was pretty satisfying. Events don't make a year satisfying; one's reaction to them does.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
-Went a bit more hippy/folky. Have bought almost nothing new but a few wonderful things second hand. Also possibly got a bit more...I dunno, confident? Short shorts and bare shoulders have been prominent. Could be interpreted as exhibitionist, but to me it has felt like being more comfortable with my body. Colours have tended towards black, brown and white with occasional crazy brightly coloured things. I have discovered hats.
32. What kept you sane?
-Flatmates and friends
-Myself (I'm getting pretty good at it)
-Philosophy
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
-Devendra Banhart
-Aaron Weiss
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
-U.S. election.
-Ours was kinda fun too, in its way.
-I'm afraid I can't really recall any others :s
35. Who did you miss?
-I seldom seem to miss people. I live in the moment.
-Missed God a little bit.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
-Kim
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
-It is more helpful, to myself and to everyone else, to be honest about who I am and what I need and want, than to try and be heroic and self-sacrificial all the time. I won't necessarily *get* the things I need and want, which is fine, but I should be honest about what those things are and let people decide for themselves. Trying to 'save' people merely delays their growth. I'm still not quite comfortable with this concept though, and would very much like to believe that self-sacrifice still has its place. Maybe the point is that it doesn't work as a whole lifestyle, and mercy is only powerful when justice is also taken seriously.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
-"I was saved by the fire that was burning deep inside of myself; I was a knave to desire, but I finally got a little bit of help". -Devendra Banhart 'Saved'. (The 'knave to desire' part's not really relevant but I kinda have to leave it in so the rest makes sense.)


6 Comments:
La Blogotheque is what you're thinking of. And Aaron Weiss is a total fox.
:)
He is a fine young man.
"Catch for us the foxes" lol
He does give the impression of having a serious dark side though, or at least something to hide. I've always thought 'Messes of Men' could be interpreted as him being secretly gay and wracked [sp?] with guilt about it. Guess that's good for you guys though, if you're into him :)
What anime?
Wolf's Rain. Plus Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, and a couple of other bits and pieces that I don't recall the names of. Turns out there's some pretty interesting ideas and insights in there.
Yeah they're some rather cool series. You might find "Ghost Hound" interesting if Matt has a copy of it sitting around. It contains an interesting mix of mysticism, psychology and science.
Post a Comment
<< Home