My Photo
Name:
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tag II

(Tag I to follow sometime - still thinking about it)

I got tagged again. I'm not going to do it properly because I don't have 6 more friends to pass it on to. So here's mine:

6 Unspectacular Quirks I Have

1) I can't get out of bed in the morning. Like, at all. Actually haven't done it in years. Ask my flatmates.

2) Approximately 50% of the times I go out the front door, I come back in again a few seconds later because I've realised I forgot something. Ask my flatmates.

3) I sometimes eat fish and chips with a knife and fork.

4) I frequently hum, whistle or sing to myself in public places. Like walking down the road and stuff. Don't care.

5) I don't like bananas. It's the texture. Grosses me out. Also hate watching other people eating them, and the smell. Ew. Especially on people's breath. Ick.

6) I shower every second day. The alternate day I just wash at the sink, and don't wash my hair. My shower routine goes like this:

  • Acclimatise to pleasurable warmness, and adjust temperature till it's just right (1min).
  • Shave legs: apply shaving cream to left leg, shave thigh, shave calf, rinse. Repeat for right leg (3min).
  • Shave armpits - no shaving cream required (0.5min).
  • Shampoo in: massage into roots, then, leaving shampoo in, coil hair on top of head, secured magically by the soapiness, to keep it out of the way while washing (1min).
  • Wash face with some kind of commercial facewash stuff, or homemade almond and honey stuff if I've got round to it. Before rinsing off, exfoliate face with exfoliating glove, then rinse (1.5min).
  • Wash body with body wash on one of those loofah thingies: left arm, right arm, torso, neck, back, legs, feet. Scrub nice and hard to exfoliate (2min).
  • Rinse shampoo out. Mm, favourite part (1min).
  • Conditioner in. Apply nearish to roots and allow to seep towards the ends. If necessary, queeze out a little more from the bottle and massage into ends (1-2min).
  • Rinse conditioner out. This for some reason takes a ridiculously long time (3min).
  • Psyche self into turning off the hot water (1min).

Total: 15min. Sometimes more, if I'm honest. Sorry, that's how it is. Have tried in vain to cut down. Though I do sometimes shave my legs in the sink, which uses less water but takes longer.

After turning off water, before stepping out of shower into the cold:

  • Squeeze excess water out of hair (1min).
  • Brush excess water off body (0.5min).
  • Towel-dry body - top down, obviously (1.5min).
  • Towel-dry hair: there's about 3 different stages to this process but they're a bit tricky to describe (3min).
  • Remove from wall of shower the hair I've been collecting there during shower, so as not to let it accumulate in the plughole - isn't that thoughtful (0.5min).
  • Step onto bathmat *ALREADY DRY*, thus *PRACTICALLY NO WATER ON BATHROOM FLOOR*. This is important.
  • Scoot into bedroom wrapped in towel, so as not to monopolise bathroom any longer.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Bananas. Huh. Did not know that.

4:31 pm, August 13, 2008  
Blogger AJ said...

Do you think writing a detailed and public list about your showering habits counts as an additional quirk?

12:03 pm, August 18, 2008  
Blogger Kat said...

Perhaps related to a more general quirk of finding people's shower routines an interesting topic for conversation. Just because it's something you don't really talk about but, you know, everyone does it. Anyone else feel like sharing? :)

12:48 pm, August 18, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, okay:

I shower every day (unless I'm running really late, or I'm going to be doing some gardening or something), usually first thing after I get up in the "morning". The routine goes:

WASHING PHASE
1. Get nekkid.
2. Turn the water on.
3. Do some press-ups while the water heats up - about 30 seconds (not many press-ups).
4. Get in shower. Acclimatise (about 1 minute).
5. Shampoo hair (every third day if it's longish; every second day if it's short; sometimes more often if it seems necessary). About 1 minute.
6. Wash face and external ears with aqueous cream on a flannel (30 seconds).
7. Here, if I hadn't failed first-year computer science, I'd be able to write an if-then-else expression for conditioning (ie "if hair=shampooed then condition=yes). Anyway, 20 seconds.
8. Wash most of body with 'soap free' body-wash on flannel (is it really 'soap free' if it still lathers? It must have some kind of nasty detergent in order to lather. Still, it makes me itch less than soap does). About a minute, in this order: chest, shoulders, upper arms, back, thighs.
9. Rinse out conditioner if I have conditioner in my hair. 30 seconds.
10. Wash underarms and manparts with 'soap free' body-wash. 30 seconds.
11. Psyche self into turning off the hot water (variable - maybe 30 seconds on average). Turn off shower.
TOTAL DURATION OF WASHING PHASE (including manly press-ups): around about six minutes.

DRYING PHASE
1. Squeeze water out of hair while in shower.
2. Open shower door, step on bathmat, reach over and grab towel. If it's a cold day, shuffle bathmat underneath fan heater.to aid the drying process.
3. Dry self.
4. Turn heater off.
5. Put clothing back on. Everyone's usually left the flat by the time I get up, so it's usually just boxers.
TOTAL DURATION OF DRYING PHASE: about two or three minutes?

SHAVING PHASE (usually every second day)
1. Whilst drying self, fill the sink with an inch or so of hot water. Time has already been allocated to drying phase.
2. Lather under chin with shaving gel.
3. Shave neck/sub-beard facial region.
4. Shave super-beard facial region (left, then right) to maintain sexiness of beard.
5. Drain sink, stirring water with hand to pick up any hair/foam stuck to the sides of the sink.
6. Turn on cold tap; rinse lower face/neck with cold water. Wash any residual hair/foam from sink.
TOTAL DURATION OF SHAVING PHASE: maybe 4 minutes?

TOTAL TOTAL TIME SPENT IN BATHROOM (less any toilet usage): about 13 minutes. Note that I have not applied hair product; that is done later, once my hair has dried properly.

6:14 pm, August 18, 2008  
Blogger Kat said...

13 minutes! Dude, that's freakin amazing.

10:04 pm, August 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home