A concession. (a couple in fact)
I keep coming back to spirituality. I don't specially want to, but it's the only thing that seems to be able to capture my heart, and relieve the ache of my uncertainties. I don't know what this should be thought to mean - don't even particularly know what I mean by spirituality - but I do know that my mind goes through times when it's weary to the point of exhaustion with having nothing to rest on, and the only thing that seems to soothe it is... some amorphous kind of thing which I associate with the word 'spiritual'. Something to do with being alive to the beauty in the world, and perhaps a sense of not-alone-ness that one might take to be God. I feel it in art, in nature, in love, in the people around me, in pathos, in all kinds of things. Most infuriatingly, it doesn't answer the questions (what is life and what the heck should I do with it?); but, whatever it is, it keeps me from despair. Did so tonight, for example, when I was pretty close.
Are those sufficient grounds for 'coming back to God'? Can I get back in the game purely on the basis that it periodically gives me the fix I need to keep going? Could I think of trying the whole prayer thing again, simply as a sort of psychotherapeutic exercise, or would it not work if I felt I was trying to fool myself? Fooling oneself is pretty hard.
I'm also finding myself, these days, surprisingly affectionated towards the church. Perhaps it's just because it's the home of my childhood, or because I'm sick of hearing it spoken ill of, or perhaps it's more. In any case, even though going to church services these days tends to be a rather depressing experience for me, I find the thought of separation from it a little frightening. For all its failings, I can't help but acknowledge that if I were to remove myself from that environment - one in which I am constantly challenged to keep my way pure, and to develop my character - I would probably drift into ethical laziness. I can feel that in me. Have even seen it in myself in recent times, as I have been drifting. And when I look into the future, and the various difficulties of life I will inevitably go through, the thought of being connected to a group of people who uphold (however imperfectly) values like compassion and generosity and service seems like a pretty good idea. Ok that sounds really selfish, but you know, it's reciprocal of course. And however circular the logic may be, there's certainly something healing to the soul about treating others that way too. In fact I might add that to the list of things that seem to give life meaning. Aside from the question of whether it's the best way to fix the world's problems, treating people with love seems to have this feeling of elation attached to it that feels like fulfilling one's destiny.
It's possible, I'm sure, that other such mutually caring communities exist. But this is the one that's readily available to me, and it's not so bad on the whole.
I just don't know, though, if I can bear to carry on hovering round the edges of something that inherently requires the devotion of one's whole being. It seems like an all or nothing thing; it seems sort of offensive to those dear earnest people to go among them half-heartedly, like sitting in the corner with my arms folded at a party. Which is unfortunate. Perhaps there are other kinds of churches, somewhere, where people can take part as much as they feel able.
Are those sufficient grounds for 'coming back to God'? Can I get back in the game purely on the basis that it periodically gives me the fix I need to keep going? Could I think of trying the whole prayer thing again, simply as a sort of psychotherapeutic exercise, or would it not work if I felt I was trying to fool myself? Fooling oneself is pretty hard.
I'm also finding myself, these days, surprisingly affectionated towards the church. Perhaps it's just because it's the home of my childhood, or because I'm sick of hearing it spoken ill of, or perhaps it's more. In any case, even though going to church services these days tends to be a rather depressing experience for me, I find the thought of separation from it a little frightening. For all its failings, I can't help but acknowledge that if I were to remove myself from that environment - one in which I am constantly challenged to keep my way pure, and to develop my character - I would probably drift into ethical laziness. I can feel that in me. Have even seen it in myself in recent times, as I have been drifting. And when I look into the future, and the various difficulties of life I will inevitably go through, the thought of being connected to a group of people who uphold (however imperfectly) values like compassion and generosity and service seems like a pretty good idea. Ok that sounds really selfish, but you know, it's reciprocal of course. And however circular the logic may be, there's certainly something healing to the soul about treating others that way too. In fact I might add that to the list of things that seem to give life meaning. Aside from the question of whether it's the best way to fix the world's problems, treating people with love seems to have this feeling of elation attached to it that feels like fulfilling one's destiny.
It's possible, I'm sure, that other such mutually caring communities exist. But this is the one that's readily available to me, and it's not so bad on the whole.
I just don't know, though, if I can bear to carry on hovering round the edges of something that inherently requires the devotion of one's whole being. It seems like an all or nothing thing; it seems sort of offensive to those dear earnest people to go among them half-heartedly, like sitting in the corner with my arms folded at a party. Which is unfortunate. Perhaps there are other kinds of churches, somewhere, where people can take part as much as they feel able.

9 Comments:
I want badly to be able to offer some decent insight... but I don't really have any.
Um, keep investigating that "amorphous kind of thing [you] associate with the word 'spiritual'", I guess? By which I mean, keep experiencing art, nature, love, the people around you, pathos, etc. and hope that the feeling becomes somewhat more morphic?
Also, I could put in a shameless plug for my employers... not the perfect church of course, but it did help me a lot two years ago when I couldn't stomach church as I knew it, but didn't want to cut myself off entirely. :)
I agree with Fraser. And also, I just want to give you a massive hug and howl angstily at the moon with you and somehow help you through it but I don't know how.
You are tremendously encouraging to others in your doggedness to find spirituality or God or whatever - hold on! I am absolutely certain there must be churches/places in the world where one can fall apart safely, or participate as much/little as they like. For me so far the closest thing has beeb Heresy.
What are you up to this weekend? Maybe we could have a chat about stuff, if you like?
Wow, I just noticed that 'stomach' and 'church' are two words that look really strange written down together.
*hugs*
I would like to point out my firm belief that fooling oneself is in fact very easy. Self fulfilling prophecies, positive affirmations, etc, it all comes down to the art of fooling yourself. Tell yourself that you don’t want to eat meat because it doesn’t taste nice, and before you know what has happened, it will be true.
Re: ethical laziness. I am not sure about this whole Jesus-as-showing-us-how-to-live-well thing, but I think you’re of that opinion yes? Now, assuming he taught practical advice on how to live, then whether or not you are able to stand alone on your own two feet and live well by following his teachings is surely the severest test of them.
Anyway, sorry for not speaking to the fundamental points of your post, but I’m not sure what to say about them.
Oh Christina! Come and howl angstily at the moon with me sometime! Sounds like fun! Man I wish I knew how to howl...
Re. fooling oneself: yeah you're right, and come to think of it, in general I'm quite good at it. I've been known to fool myself in and out of love, in and out of affection towards people who drive me crazy, in and out of stress, anger, fear, and a lot of different states of mind. I wonder what it is about this that makes it so hard to conquer. I suppose it's because I know that my becoming persuaded one way or another won't change what is actually the case about God, as it might with the taste of meat.
Not sure what to think about Jesus' teachings and their merits.
the peace you are searching for is within you
download articles on the subject here http://www.tprf.org/magazinearticles.htm
“Peace needs to be in everyone’s life. Of all the things we have tried in this world, there is one thing we have never given a chance. That one thing is peace. If we want to hope for something, maybe we could hope in our heart that peace will come in our life. It is not the world that needs peace; it is people. When people in the world are at peace within, the world will be at peace. The peace we are looking for is within. It is in the heart, waiting to be felt, and I can help you get in touch with it.” - Maharaji
I suspect she is having enough problems dealing with her internal tempest already. There is no need to blame the lack of world peace on her as well...
Overcast days and lack of sleep. If it makes you feel better, I suspect we're all a little insane.
The Train of Life
Translated from Hindi
Prem Rawat in New Delhi
In this world, there’s a train that is always moving. It doesn’t stop at a station or for anyone. It just keeps going. Every second, some people get on and some people get off. Where will it stop? Nobody knows. To sit in this train, all you need is the ticket of life. We have already been given that. We’re in the train, and it is moving.
People ask me, “Why am I here?” What kind of question is that? Since I was very little, people have been asking me, “What is the goal of this life?” I used to tell them, “You have this life, and you don’t know what the goal of your life is? That means you have not understood what you have been given. You’ve just believed what people have said.”
Prem Rawat :: Maharaji
This is what happens: You’re in a car and you get lost. Someone’s standing on the side of the road, and you ask him, “Where is so-and-so place? How do I get there?” He says, “Go straight, make a right turn, then one kilometer ahead make a left, and you’ll be there.” Then you say thank you and keep going. You don’t ask, “Do you really know where this place is?” You say, “I need to go there,” and he says whatever he says. It could be completely wrong. It could be that he is crazy. It could be that he doesn’t know where he is going, and he is lost himself, giving people different directions. When we close our eyes and do things with blind faith, the impact is different than when we do things consciously.
Today, the world is ready to explain to us what we need. I do not accept that because what we need and the desire for it are placed within us. Until we understand what that desire is, we just get stuck in the names, the definitions, the descriptions. We get stuck in imagination. It is one thing to have a description of something and another to have the experience.
Audience
When it comes to peace, when it comes to understanding, people are happy to stay in the description and not have the experience. Every day, we try to imagine God through our mind and intellect. We try to talk to him and see him through these eyes. And what is the experience?
What is the experience of that which resides within? This is what I talk about, and this is what I pay more attention to. The descriptions are fine, but without experience, all those things are incomplete. Water quenches thirst, but a picture of water cannot quench your thirst. Fire can burn something, but a picture of fire cannot burn anything. If you want to have true love, you have to experience true love. Just hearing words or descriptions and imagining it are not enough. It needs to be real.
If you want the experience of what is within you, I will walk a thousand steps, but you need to take at least one step: you will have to ask for it from your heart. And I can give it to you.
It is necessary that you come from that place within you that is simple. Don’t come with your bag of concepts. In this life, we need to understand how much has been taught to us and how much is our own. We need to recognize both of those things, and it is very difficult.
These are not just words. I guarantee you that you can definitely have the experience of that which has no beginning and has no end, which is real.
That experience is already inside of you. It doesn’t need to be created. You just need to lift the veil of ignorance. Once you have understood, once you know where your home is, you won’t need to get lost. You won’t need to wander. So understand and enjoy that real thing.
Maharaji
This seems kind of related to things I've been meaning to post on for a while, but I've been out of the blogging loop. (wonder if anyone still reads these comments?) Oh well.
re. the 'spirituality' thing - I know it's easy to fool yourself into things etc, but I think you're sufficiently on your guard to not get carried away by emotional hype 'in the name of the Lord', and are probably, in fact, a little too on your guard to let God in. I don't mean to sound harsh, it's just something I've been finding with myself lately. If we believe in God as something more than a concept or a convenient idea that holds church, Bible and our philosophy of life together - if he actually exists as a 'person' of sorts - then surely he also has the ability to relate to us. Relational things are hard to turn into cold hard logic, because they were never meant to - in doing so, they lose their relational nature. I think it's important to use your brain and be critical, but being overly cynical and not daring to believe in anything is also dangerous and can turn us old and bitter far before our time. If God is an individual rather than a concept, then I think we're selling ourselves short by shying away from anything more than logical debate about theological issues with other people.
I'm sick of being cynical. Perhaps Jesus said that we should have faith like a child for a reason. I want to get back to being more innocent (though hopefully not naive), playful, joyful, trusting and embracing God and people and life, daring to give them the benefit of the doubt. I find God in nature, in art, in music, in love, in service, in people too - if we try and analyse it too much, we've missed the point. I want to learn to just enjoy it and learn what I can from it. I believe that all these things are real and they are good, so to me this is a connection to God far more real than debating points of theology or being afraid to reach out to anything beyond my understanding (hello, God?). This is not an intellectual way to do things, but that's ok, because most of spirituality isn't intellectual and I don't really want to be bound by religion.
Sorry, this turned into a huge rant that should have probably been on my blog... I hope some of it was helpful? I feel that I haven't really explained myself well... I guess what I'm getting at is that I think there's more to the world than what we can rationalise, so to ignore it is easy, but it isn't a very rational response either.
It is very hard to argue for embracing things outside the realm of intellectual logic in an intellectual and logical way. Hmmm.
Love
K
Post a Comment
<< Home