From more formal days...
Hehe, I bought the cutest book today from an antiques shop. The Modern Letter Writer, written by Mr. W.H. Henry, this edition printed in 1953, gives examples of how to correctly and eloquently compose letters for about two hundred different scenarios, among which are the following gems from the section on love, courtship and marriage, which I thought you might enjoy:
LIST OF SUITABLE PHRASES.
Your letters make my long absence durable.
Every hour seems a year while we are separated.
Longing to see you again.
I love you with a deep devotion.
I love you sincerely and fervently.
May I hope for a return of my affection?
If I have caused the slightest pain, I deeply regret it.
Your image is ever present in my thoughts.
From the day I first had the pleasure of meeting you.
I trust you will never have cause to repent it.
I ask you to reconsider your decision.
I cannot feel the affection which a wife should possess for her husband.
As a friend I shall ever like and esteem you.
It is not possible for me to accept your proposal.
I must candidly admit that I both like and esteem you.
I have read and re-read your letter.
I am longing to hear from you again.
I am counting the hours until your return.
ASKING PARENTS' CONSENT FOR THE HAND OF THEIR DAUGHTER.
16 Smith Street,
Burwood,
1/9/19
Dear ---
My object in writing is to ask you to give favourable consideration on my account in regard to my asking your daughter --- to become my wife.
Your daughter and myself have enjoyed each other's society for the past three years, and I feel now the correct action on my part is to make my intentions known without more delay, and thus take my chance. I therefore seek your permission before declaring myself.
My position at present in the --- Company is encouraging, and I have been promised the management of the next branch office opened. I also have a small property in ---, and I shall be pleased to give you any further particulars you may care to ask.
May I add, it will be my constant aim to make your daughter a good husband, and to obtain for her every happiness within my power.
With kind regards, and anxiously awaiting your reply,
I am,
Dear Sir,
Yours sincerely,
ANSWER FAVOURABLE.
12 Tivoli Street,
Bankville,
4/9/19
Dear ---
I have your letter of the 1st inst. now before me. The subject you refer to is, of course, one that all parents with daughters of a marriageable age have to face. It will be hard to place our daughter in another's care, but we realise parents must not selfishly expect their daughters to remain single.
Both Mrs. --- and myself thank you for the courtesy shown in writing, and are favourable to your speaking to our daughter ---, who, we trust, will choose a marriage for love and according to the dictates of her heart.
Should you be successful we will accept you with all cordiality.
With sincere good wishes,
Yours truly,
ANSWER UNFAVOURABLE.
12 Tivoli Street,
Bankville,
4/9/19
Dear ---
I have to acknowledge your letter in regard to granting you permission to seek the hand of my daughter --- in marriage.
I will be quite frank with you, and say that I have discussed the matter with my daughter, to whom your request was a great surprise. Although your acquaintance has been a pleasurable one, under the circumstances I cannot recommend your going further in the matter.
Thanking you for the straightforward manner in which you have written.
Yours truly,
PROPOSAL OF MARRIAGE.
5 Asher Street,
Bickton, 6th July, 19
My Dear ---
I hardly know how to express myself. However, I will begin by assuring you that I am writing in real earnestness in regard to my long and delightful acquaintance with your sweet self, which has developed into a passionate love. You are always in my thought, although I hear of you so seldom.
I cannot wait longer without placing my love and devotion at your feet. My greatest desire of life will be to look after you always, and provide you with as many necesseties and luxuries of life as possible, and to make you the happiest of girls.
Can you spare me just a little love, and will you consider allowing me to make a home for you to share with me as my wife?
I shall anxiously await your reply, and, believe me, were I free at the moment, I should make a personal visit instead of writing.
I shall be free next month, and will be able to pay you a visit, if you will take pity on a lone bachelor, and allow me to remain,
Yours devotedly,
ANSWER REFUSING.
"Glen Innes,' 10th July, 19
Dear Mr. ---
Your letter proved a great surprise to me. i had no idea you regarded me in such high esteem as to honour me with the devotion you express.
I have considred you as one of my best friends, and you have always had the admiration I possess for an upright and honourable man, but beyond that I cannot go. I much regret to disappoint you, but I must not only esteem, but love, the man I marry.
Yours sincerely,
ANSWER ACCEPTING.
"Glen Innes," 10th July 19
My Dear ---
I am so excited after reading your nice letter and the expressions of devotion, for which Cupid must be blamed. From all I know of you, I am sure your affection is sincere, and something seems to whisper to me that I should be happy in your care.
I cannot say more in writing, but I shall be overjoyed to see you as soon as you can manage to get away.
In the meantime do not despair, and accept love
From
LIST OF SUITABLE PHRASES.
Your letters make my long absence durable.
Every hour seems a year while we are separated.
Longing to see you again.
I love you with a deep devotion.
I love you sincerely and fervently.
May I hope for a return of my affection?
If I have caused the slightest pain, I deeply regret it.
Your image is ever present in my thoughts.
From the day I first had the pleasure of meeting you.
I trust you will never have cause to repent it.
I ask you to reconsider your decision.
I cannot feel the affection which a wife should possess for her husband.
As a friend I shall ever like and esteem you.
It is not possible for me to accept your proposal.
I must candidly admit that I both like and esteem you.
I have read and re-read your letter.
I am longing to hear from you again.
I am counting the hours until your return.
ASKING PARENTS' CONSENT FOR THE HAND OF THEIR DAUGHTER.
16 Smith Street,
Burwood,
1/9/19
Dear ---
My object in writing is to ask you to give favourable consideration on my account in regard to my asking your daughter --- to become my wife.
Your daughter and myself have enjoyed each other's society for the past three years, and I feel now the correct action on my part is to make my intentions known without more delay, and thus take my chance. I therefore seek your permission before declaring myself.
My position at present in the --- Company is encouraging, and I have been promised the management of the next branch office opened. I also have a small property in ---, and I shall be pleased to give you any further particulars you may care to ask.
May I add, it will be my constant aim to make your daughter a good husband, and to obtain for her every happiness within my power.
With kind regards, and anxiously awaiting your reply,
I am,
Dear Sir,
Yours sincerely,
ANSWER FAVOURABLE.
12 Tivoli Street,
Bankville,
4/9/19
Dear ---
I have your letter of the 1st inst. now before me. The subject you refer to is, of course, one that all parents with daughters of a marriageable age have to face. It will be hard to place our daughter in another's care, but we realise parents must not selfishly expect their daughters to remain single.
Both Mrs. --- and myself thank you for the courtesy shown in writing, and are favourable to your speaking to our daughter ---, who, we trust, will choose a marriage for love and according to the dictates of her heart.
Should you be successful we will accept you with all cordiality.
With sincere good wishes,
Yours truly,
ANSWER UNFAVOURABLE.
12 Tivoli Street,
Bankville,
4/9/19
Dear ---
I have to acknowledge your letter in regard to granting you permission to seek the hand of my daughter --- in marriage.
I will be quite frank with you, and say that I have discussed the matter with my daughter, to whom your request was a great surprise. Although your acquaintance has been a pleasurable one, under the circumstances I cannot recommend your going further in the matter.
Thanking you for the straightforward manner in which you have written.
Yours truly,
PROPOSAL OF MARRIAGE.
5 Asher Street,
Bickton, 6th July, 19
My Dear ---
I hardly know how to express myself. However, I will begin by assuring you that I am writing in real earnestness in regard to my long and delightful acquaintance with your sweet self, which has developed into a passionate love. You are always in my thought, although I hear of you so seldom.
I cannot wait longer without placing my love and devotion at your feet. My greatest desire of life will be to look after you always, and provide you with as many necesseties and luxuries of life as possible, and to make you the happiest of girls.
Can you spare me just a little love, and will you consider allowing me to make a home for you to share with me as my wife?
I shall anxiously await your reply, and, believe me, were I free at the moment, I should make a personal visit instead of writing.
I shall be free next month, and will be able to pay you a visit, if you will take pity on a lone bachelor, and allow me to remain,
Yours devotedly,
ANSWER REFUSING.
"Glen Innes,' 10th July, 19
Dear Mr. ---
Your letter proved a great surprise to me. i had no idea you regarded me in such high esteem as to honour me with the devotion you express.
I have considred you as one of my best friends, and you have always had the admiration I possess for an upright and honourable man, but beyond that I cannot go. I much regret to disappoint you, but I must not only esteem, but love, the man I marry.
Yours sincerely,
ANSWER ACCEPTING.
"Glen Innes," 10th July 19
My Dear ---
I am so excited after reading your nice letter and the expressions of devotion, for which Cupid must be blamed. From all I know of you, I am sure your affection is sincere, and something seems to whisper to me that I should be happy in your care.
I cannot say more in writing, but I shall be overjoyed to see you as soon as you can manage to get away.
In the meantime do not despair, and accept love
From


4 Comments:
LOL what majesty! Second hand books are the best, eh. I think I shall ask to borrow (although not in such eloquent letter form) that little book of genius at some stage :D
I like.
Heh - That's awesome!
That is so cool!! I love it!!
Post a Comment
<< Home