2012
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
- Got seriously let down by an employer, and decided to seriously let them down in return.
- Helped deliver calves.
- Injected things into cows.
- Shore some sheep!
- Used a lawnmower.
- Went out boozing with teenagers.
- Cultivated some paddocks.
- Had a full-on, genuine shouting match with someone.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for the next year?
- Well I certainly began the year with the firm intention of kicking the arse of my studies - which I did. Next year: repeat.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
- Many cows, and my cousin, and various friends. Guess we’re that age now, huh.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
- Yeah, my Nana, and my dog.
5. What countries did you visit?
- Haven’t left the South Island this year. However, I have lived in 3 different provinces (Otago, Canterbury and Westland).
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
- A dog. (I’ve lacked one for about 85% of 2012.)
- My mojo back.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched in your memory, and why?
- Nothing comes to mind.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
- Was quite pleased with myself for securing a job within 5 days of quitting the previous one.
9. What was your biggest failure of the year?
- Just kinda...lost myself somewhere along the way this year. Don’t know where I’ve gone.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
- Last week some chemicals burned holes in my skin. That was pretty unpleasant. I’ve been quite battered and bruised for most of the year. Otherwise nah.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
- Loom and spinning wheel.
12. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
- The aforementioned employers. Him: the most distressingly racist person I’ve ever met; her: possessor of the most terrifying temper.
- My classmates, who just can’t get their acts together. Sigh.
- Myself, for not finishing that jumper. Just can’t get my act together. Sigh.
13. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
- My classmates, who, despite-or-because-of the above, can be quite good fun.
- Matt, for buying that place.
- Andrew, my soon-to-be brother-in-law, for making my sister sublimely happy.
14. Where did most of your money go?
- Groceries and petrol. Not much money was circulated via me in 2012.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
- Grass. (not the drug; the interesting kind.)
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
- Red Solo Cup.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
- Sadder. Don’t know quite why, but I’ve become wayless, nervy, and more cynical than ever. And, like, even kinda bitchy and sour. (Mostly on the inside, but occasionally on the outside.) Where did that come from?
b) fatter or thinner?
- Thinner. Got fatter while studying, but then I started working on a dairy farm. Far out.
c) richer or poorer?
- Still got nothin’.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
- Shearing sheep.
- Being in the company of people who inspire me and lead me to grow instead of crumble away. And whom I inspire too. That would have been nice.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
- Fretting about whether or not I’m doing well in my job(s). Can’t seem to help it though.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
- My family had Christmas 10 days early, at my folks’ house. The usual politely-enjoyable day with a moderate feast. On the real Christmas day I cooked parts of another feast, consumed it with the family I’m working for, and milked cows.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
- Yes - with grass.
22. What was your favourite TV programme?
- Country Calendar.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
- I despise/have no respect for a few people. Hate isn’t quite the word for it.
24. What was the best book you read?
- A collection of essays about pastures that my uncle lent me.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
- I’ve been out of the habit of making musical discoveries this year. Or out of the social circles for it. Oh, M83 are fun though, and Lykke Li.
26. What did you want and get?
- More farming knowledge and experience.
- Friends in my class.
- A farm to live on during the year.
- A [small] scholarship for next year.
- Into the habit of baking my own bread.
27. What did you want and not get?
- A farmer to marry-or-whatever. Probably won’t find one. And kinda don’t want one anyway. Gah, this whole subject is a mess in my head.
- A more bigger scholarship. (still time though.)
- A clear career path all figured out. Though I probably didn’t really want this - otherwise I would have it.
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
- Melancholia. (was that this year? I watched it this year anyhow.)
29. What did you do on your birthday and how old did you turn?
- Don’t think I did anything much. Might even have been during mid-year exams. Turned 28.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
- More internet.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
- I *tried* to maintain my individuality in a class that pretty much has a uniform (stubbies, jandals-or-gumboots, plaid shirt)...but a little differentness goes a long way in that class.
32. What kept you sane?
- I like how this question presupposes that I stayed sane in 2012. If I did, it was thanks to Meg, animals and facebook.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
- Senjougahara Hitagi
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
- The future of agriculture, re sustainable possibilities etc. Like, what's our plan for when phosphate runs out, after we've flushed it all down the toilet?
35. Who did you miss?
- My dog Fly.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
- ...gonna have to go with Hamish, my amoral but highly entertaining classmate, whom I love beyond all reason.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
- Sign papers. There’s a reason everyone else always does that.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
- “Love is the king of the beasts, and when it gets hungry it must kill to eat.” (Bill Callahan, ‘Eid Ma Clack Shaw’) (I don’t really know what this means, but it seems to share my Mood of the Year in some way.)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home