My Photo
Name:
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Is everyone sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin:

Well, as you can see I've decided to try this blogging lark everyone's talking about. As a philosophy student I feel it appropriate to lay out for you the rationale behind this important decision:

Premise 1: by general consensus of those sampled, blogging leads to an increase in happiness.
Premise 2: happiness is intrinsically desirable.
Premise 3: if something is intrinsically desirable, I ought to pursue it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion: I ought to blog.

There may perhaps be one or two weak points in my argument, but then I'm only an undergraduate so what would I know?

Anyways, most of you people who are reading this don't know me all that well just yet, so in case you're taking notes, lesson 1 in Katherine101 is as follows: I am a very ponderous person, and my preferred medium for pondering is writing. Therefore I intend to make extensive use of this space as part of my quest to wreak [is that the present tense of wrought?] some sort of order out of the jumbled mess that is my brain. If at any time any of you feel inspired to assist me in this endeavour through the kind imparting of your own thoughts [or feelings; it wouldn't do to exclude half of society by restricting it to thoughts...], I shall be most grateful.

Lesson 2: things I like. You. Yep, hugs all round and general feelings of warmth and fuzziness [oops, that one sounded better in my head]. My family. Playing the piano. Driving on the open road with the windows down and the music turned up loud. Boys. Girls. Being at uni. [It's true, I like studying. On that basis I wish to submit my application, to whom it may concern, to be considered for membership of the secret Self-Professed-Geeks club that I'm pretty sure exists around
here somewhere.] Tramping. Contemplating anything of extraordinary beauty, in art, nature or thought; my tastes run along rather melancholic lines, especially in music. Words.

Lesson 3: things I don't like. Dancing. Sport. Doing whatever's at the top of my priority list, when there's something more fun to do, which is usually.

That's enough for one day. There may be a test, someday when you least expect it.

Y'all have a lovely day now.

13 Comments:

Blogger M Ronayne said...

Woohoo! First comment! In-your-face Nathan!

Bwahahaha! Now that blogging has you in its clutches.... you shall never escape!

*tiny voice* Nooo! Run, run while you still can!

Anyways, a most hearty welcome to the blogging community. On a somewhat unrelated note - I didn't know anyone else had actually *heard* of afro-celt sound system - let alone like it! Woohoo! I'm not as weird as I previously thought...... Welll..... maybe I am, but at least I am at peace with it :)

9:07 pm, August 19, 2004  
Blogger Nathan said...

I'LL GET YOU FOR THIS MIKE GRUMBLES!!!! (Seeing you're onto blogging, you may as well explore h*r, and it'll put this into perspectivelol. I seem to have lost my knack of grabbing the first comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging!

Ok, blogging may lead to an increase in happiness, but does it lead to fulfillment?
I think it does, if you use it correctly. Blogging is like stupidity. You can use it for good, or evil.

10:36 pm, August 19, 2004  
Blogger Kat said...

Hey, there are people out there!

Yes, I thought the old 'intrinsic worth of happiness' might get picked on. As it happens I don't really hold to that premise - nor, by the way, do I believe in the necessity of fun - but it made for a reasonable argument.

Yeah, big ups to AfroCelt. Iarla O'Lionaird's voice is like sunshine and mountain lakes and all things lovely, and 'The Seed' is a masterpiece. Specially tracks 1, 3 and 9. I confess I sometimes wonder if it's 'kosher' for Christians to listen to it, though, since it's almost definitely about freaky pagan stuff. And yet I go on listening of course. What do you guys think? It's not like you can understand the words or anything. Does that make a difference if the words are actually bad?

As for inthedesert...there are sort of reasons but they are vague. I like deserts. There's something quite beautiful about emptiness. I mean to visit the Middle East one day. (Hence the whole learning Arabic thing.) If I wanted to be metaphorical I might say it had something to do with my outlook on life, something about what a barren wasteland this desolate world is, and how insignificant I feel within its vastness, yet how vital when compared to its lifelessness...there, will that do? Also, there's a really funny song by two jolly gentlemen named Flanders and Swann, about camels, called In the Desert, and I won't pretend that wasn't also in my mind...

12:47 am, August 20, 2004  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome to the blogging world. Looks like I missed finding your blog by my self by a day or so had a quick search for it on Tuesday when someone mentioned your'd started one or were about to.

Any way nice first post.

Lets just hope your Premise's are correct. :)

Now if you don't mind I need a quote or something to add as the title for my link to your blog. I'd much apreciate it if your'd oblige or if someone else can remember a decent one :).

1:42 am, August 20, 2004  
Blogger Ruth said...

oh, that's great Paul!
Argh! I was so meant to get first comment on this!! Stupid not having internet at home...
yay for blogging!

1:49 pm, August 20, 2004  
Blogger Notions Incognito said...

I see you'll fit right in to our fellowship of the blog =) It is always good to have someone of your eloquence and ponderosity (heh heh...) to share equally elegant turns of phrase with. Or possibly not so elegant. Either is good =)

Are you majoring in philosophy? I have tried to talk philosophically, but I got into mental confusion. I became lost in an ocean of eloquent, poly-syllabic logic that wraps in on itself like a cat chasing its tail... no, worse... eating its tail. =)

Yes. Well. Have a lovely day yourself.

-- Reuben --

6:59 pm, August 20, 2004  
Blogger Kat said...

Ah, mental confusion is good, my friend. Well, no, come to think of it the hardest thing I've ever dealt with in my life has been the result of mental confusion. And yet there is something irresistible about contemplating the uncontemplatable. Something akin to pyromania, only with abstract concepts...

Yes, I'm majoring in philosophy, and also English. Other papers I've done are history, Greek and Arabic. All good fun.

EONsim: there's one quote of mine on The Fridge, concerning 12 year old boys, but it might not be quite the thing... Otherwise you'll just have to keep your ears open I'm afraid, coz nothing comes immediately to mind.

Ruth: oh yeah, sorry mate, forgot you would be at a disadvantage in the desperate race for first post. No hard feelings?

Did I mention you guys are all fabulous?

By the way, who is Fred?

3:21 am, August 21, 2004  
Blogger Scotty said...

I question premise three.

Sin is often intrinsically desirable. Should we pursue it?

:)

2:51 pm, August 21, 2004  
Blogger Nathan said...

Does intrinsically desirable mean we desire it, or that it is a good thing that we deem to be desireable?

Intrinsically pleasurable, or intrinsically recommended us?

4:30 pm, August 21, 2004  
Blogger Author said...

Hi Katherine and everyone:

I'm a believer have a discussion on my blog with a person who is an athiest. She - I think it's she - is giving a great evangelistic effort to convert me to her point of view.

If you have time check it out at www.discoveryourdestiny.blogspot.com

Besides, Katherine, my discoveryourdestiny theories may be intriquing!

The discussion is in the comments section of the first entry in July which is called In the Beginning.

Anyway, once I read all your comments on Katherine's blog, I just decided, "These are the kind of people I would like to have over to my place!"

5:18 pm, August 21, 2004  
Blogger Kelly said...

Welcome to our world. Prepared to be involved in deep & meaningfuls, silly rantings, hasseling, deeply personal cringy & weepy stuff and all kinds of other weirdish things. You're going to love it. Hopefully.

1:08 pm, August 22, 2004  
Blogger Nathan said...

I think I'm going to nominate you for the "shameless plugs" award. :) The number of comments I've seen with your URL is phenomenonal!

6:48 pm, August 22, 2004  
Blogger Kat said...

hehehe... yeah, didn't think of that till afterwards

2:59 am, August 24, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home